Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Furd Bronc-slo spare tire carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Mar 1, 2004.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever used a spare tire carrier from the 80's to 90's model bronco on their K5. It looks like it would fit and they are easier to find than a stock K5 one around here. Pros or cons? Will it be able to carry a 35" spare?

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

even on the bronco's a 35 on the stock carrier is a stretch, my biggest cons to seeing them used is they will eventually tear the body on their mounting points, the broncos are even reinforced there and they still tend to tear. They sure are plentyful though...

3. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Are these any weaker than a stock K5 swing a way? I thought they could handle a 35" w/o problems. They appear to be made of similar materials, but as we all know thinks are not always what the appear to be! And we are talking ford parts! Just trying to save $$$!

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

i have seen 35's mounted on them, but the weight acts on a good pivot to start sagging and dragging on the sheet metal, even with a 33 on there we kinda have to lift my friend's spare a bit to get it to latch correctly, the other guy i know with a 35 has to really lift his to latch it, its way over weighted. i wouldnt think any weaker than the k-5 design.

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

It'll be cheap garbage, just like anything ford makes. The only thing I ever used from a ford was a battery tray out of a 70's truck and put it in my 72 K20. Oh wait, was that like talking about buying/selling a K5? Maybe I should reply in a different forum, or talk about my vacation in the everglades with my family. You know the plane flight sucked, but the Heinikins were good.