Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Furd D70 rear axle ????'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Mar 1, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Furd D70 rear axle ????\'s

Today at the JY I came across a Ford F-250 diesel with what looks like a D70 rear axle. There is no "70" on any of the webs where I'm used to seeing the designation of Dana axles. But it looks just like the 70 on the axle ID page. On a couple of webs are some numbers (that I didn't write down /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif), but on the bottom right web, is a sideways diamond, like the "dana" diamond, with "NC" inside of it. I pulled a shaft and it is 35 spline. I popped the cover to try to get some numbers from the ring gear and just then the dude comes around telling me to pick it up, they closed 15 minutes ago. So, I didn't get those numbers either. There was a metal tag under two of the cover bolts so I nabbed that. The tag reads:

3.54 VE5TA YA 605247-1

Except, the "V" typed above is actually an upside down triangle.

I measured the WMS to WMS at 65". Other than maybe having to change the gears, and having to weld new spring plates and shock mounts, does this look like a good candidate for the K5? I want a D70 not a 14B. Anyone have any info on the D70 and in what years and/or models Ferd used them? Anyone see any reasons I should let this one pass and wait for the next one? Who all has swapped in a 70, and what vehicle did you get it from?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Furd D70 rear axle ????\'s

was it a sterling 10.25? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what year is it? im betting its a sterling 10.25" axle..
    ill have my parts guy run that tag tomorrow..

4. mofugly13

I think it was an '85. I looked to be sure, but now I can't remember. I wanna say '85 or '83? What's a Sterlikg axle look like? This one sure looked like a D70. I even looked at a few 44's so I could compare the shapes of the cover. The D70 cover looks like the d44 only BIGGER, right?

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    this is the dana 70. Almost identical in appearance to a Dana 60, the Dana 70 is standard in heavy Dodge pickups and GM duallies. The large 10.54-inch ring gear diameter will tolerate much torque, and is suitable for diesel power and/or big tires.

[​IMG]
    this is the sterling 10.25. Ford's biggest axle comes with semi-floating shafts in 1983-and-newer F-250s, and as a full-floater in F-250HDs and F-350s. Applications are similar to the big GM 14-bolt and the Dana 70.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My buddy's 85 F250 diesel SuperCab came with a D70 rear. Technically, I think its 70U. Anyways, he swapped in 4.10's from a Chevy cube van /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think the Sterling came into effect in 86 or 87. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. mofugly13

I'm pretty sure it's not the sterling. I counted 10 bolts holding the cover on. I had just been looking at that page before I headed off to the yard, and when I got there and saw this axle I started wondering if it might be that "other" Ferd axle. When I got home I looked it up again and decided what I had seen looked just like the 70.

I was planning on bolting that cover back on 'cause It'll be awhile till I can get it. Hope it don't rust up. The oil that came pouring out looked real nice, not black at all.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

By your desc., I have the same thing in the back of my furd too. Sterling 10.25 though...

9. mofugly13

Well, this is definitely not a Sterling, unless there are some Sterlings out there with only 10 bolts holding the cover on. I wish I had more time to check it out. I'll probably go back this weekend to see if they'll let me pull it, give them some sort of deposit, and then leave it there to pick up later. The dude at the "counter" knows me so I'm hoping to be able to work something out. I gots no $$$$$ right now! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure it's not a '60?

Then again, i think they're only 30 splines in the rear stock.

11. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

I think only very rare Dana 60's from 78/79 fords had the 35 spline rears, im pretty sure they DO exist, but they're by no means plentiful.

12. mofugly13

That thought crossed my mind too. But I've seen 60's at the JY and this one looked bigger. I'm gonna have to go back and check it out better, maybe tomorrow. It had 35 splines for sure, that's the first thing I checked. I read a post on here somewhere that talked about changing a rear 60 to 35 spline, and it required boring out and re-splining the housing. That got me thinking that this one is a 70. One funny thing I noticed is the axle tubes. They are FAT, but at the end where they are welded to the flange (is that what it's called) that the drum backing plate bolts to, at the last 1/2" they neck down in diameter. The necked down part is maybe 3/8"-1/2" less in diameter than the rest of the tube. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Go here and look up that number...

http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp~Departid~

('85 F350 Dana 70U /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif )

14. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Dana Part Number -> : 6052471

You Entered: You Entered: -> 605247-1
    Product: AXL
    Description: F-350 Chassis - 70u
    [​IMG]
    Bill

15. mofugly13

Awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Thanks tweetysaurus and u2slow! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was gonna hit the JY today, but I gotta change the bearings in my 12-bolt /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I am supposed to be road tripping this weekend, I hope I can grab it before someone else does.

16. mofugly13

TAH DAH! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]
    The dude at the yard threw in the springs for $20.
    I wonder how long this thing will sit in the garage until I throw it in???

17. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill