Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

further confusion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by musselshell, May 26, 2003.

1. musselshell

musselshell Newbie

This seems as good a way as any to say Hi!

I am the keeper of a '71 K5, which curiously enough has a number of '70 features, including the original rear axle, which was coded as a '70 truck axle, as is the one I just put in.

For those old enough to remember, GM had a strike in '70, and some strange things resulted. Cars and trucks they started building as '70s that didn't get finished before the strike ended up being marketed as '71s.

Anyway, '69 to '72--they're all wonderful, but a trifle demanding at times.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome!

I can't say I recall the specifics of that strike in 1970....I think at the time I was more concerned about watching Sesame Street!!!

.....and I'm still considered one of the OLD guys around here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What are your plans for the truck? Keep it original, or make some changes???

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Welcome, that body style was very cool, lots of memories from my Dads '69 C 20 pickup. I thought that truck was the sh.. . A K5 version would be major cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. musselshell

musselshell Newbie

Thank you both very much for the welcome and kind words.

As far as my plans go, that old body style was wonderful. I wanted one soooo bad back when they were new. They were and still are the best 4WD I've ever driven. Also, I'm in Arizona and I like convertibles.

Anyway, the Big Guy hears all prayers. He just doesn't seem to answer them the way we'd like when we'd like.

So, He/She said one day "Son, guess what! You're finally getting the '71 Blazer you always wanted. Only thing is is you gonna have to rebuild it."

So, I'm kinda restoring, rebuilding, and customizing it. I'm keeping it as original as possible, but I'm not hesitant to use something newer when it works better, if that makes sense.

I put a new, not exactly stock 350 (about 350-375 hp) in it, and straightened out a poorly done 4" lift. I'm running 33" BFGs, and just rebuilt the leaf springs, and replaced the original ('70!) rear axle with a '70 12 bolt with a new 3.73 Eaton Positraction unit. The roof's been off for two years now. I've completely rebuilt the interior, from ABS firewall insulator (gets hot behind that motor), to wood paneling in the bed area. Still have to rewire it, and paint it.

See ya around.

By the way, I remember Sesame Street too. My little brother loved it, so I'm not that old!

Love,
    Musselshell

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have one of those K5's in my drive way...always working on it, but I can see the light at the end now...should be going in about 3 weeks with new paint, interior, seats, tires, rear bumper, doors and a soft top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

get some pics of that K5 to us...

6. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Greetings and welcome -- I remember the 70 1/2 Camaros and if memory serves me Chevy carried the '69 body style Camaros over and even called a few 1970's. Made for a big production run of the 69's.

Welcome to the world of Blazers - good news for a mostly stock rebuilt is that there are parts galore out there either for these truck or that will readily adapt to these trucks.

good luck

7. Blazerholic

Blazerholic Registered Member

Welcome to the addiction! You've come to the right place too...these guys(and gals!) know everything (or they know someone that does) about our toys!Best site on the net. Just keep your checkbook handy 'cause once you start building 'em you can't stop!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

I was but a wee swimmer in my daddys shorts in 1970, so thanks for the tidbit of knowledge, and welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. musselshell

musselshell Newbie

[ QUOTE ]
    Greetings and welcome -- I remember the 70 1/2 Camaros and if memory serves me Chevy carried the '69 body style Camaros over and even called a few 1970's. Made for a big production run of the 69's.

YEP, THOSE ARE/WERE THE ONES THAT ARE MOST REMEMBERED, ESPECIALLY 'CAUSE THEY WERE SO POPULAR AND THAT WAS THE YEAR THEY MADE THE FIRST MAJOR CHANGES IN THE ORIGINAL BODY STYLE, I THINK.

BUT, WEIRD THINGS HAPPENED WITH ALL OF THEM.

AND, YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT. ONCE YOU START BUILDING THEM ...
    I'LL JUST SAY THAT I'M GLAD I DON'T HAVE A CHECKBOOK OR CREDIT CARD THESE DAYS.

Welcome to the world of Blazers - good news for a mostly stock rebuilt is that there are parts galore out there either for these truck or that will readily adapt to these trucks.

THAT'S WHY I PREFER THE CASH METHOD. I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN WORKING ON THE TRUCK FOR A YEAR AND A HALF NOW,(I'M SORRY I DIDN'T FIND THIS SITE BEFORE--YOU GUYS ARE GREAT, AND I'M GLAD TO KNOW I SHARE THIS MANIACAL PASSION WITH MORE FOLKS THAN I THOUGHT!), AND I'M ALWAYS FINDING ANOTHER PART I NEEDED AND SOMETHING ELSE THAT I WANT TO DO.

LOVE,
    MUSSELSHELL

PS: NO PICTURES AS YET, STILL HAVEN'T CHANGED BAD SKY BLUE OVER ORIGINAL "BABYPOOP" YELLOW PAINT, BUT I'M GONNA SHOOT FOR HEADING UP TO MOAB IN OCTOBER. I'LL START SAVING FOR GAS NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]