Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuse Block Question...Hellp me out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin'Grrl, May 22, 2000.

1. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

Ok, I got a short. The identification stuff written on my fuse box is long gone.....what else is in the cicuit with tail lights??? Someone please look for me!

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

2. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

I believe cigarette lighter

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have the wiring diagram for the whole truck , including a pic of the front of thre fuse block, if you like I can scan it for you...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. Your tail light and courtesy light should be together. Or if if you still use glass fuses then it would be tail lights, courtesy light, and brake lights. And the older ones than that have tail lights alone !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I have the AGC (glass) style fuses in my '73. Whenever the fuse for my taillights blows, the dash lights go out too. I don't think anything else was affected.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Also normally if you have no dash lights you have now tail lights, there way of letting you know you have no tail lights :P

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

looking at the book.... the stop lights and hazard are on one fuse, tail-lights and park lights are on another, directionals and back up are on another,, horn is with the dome light, instruments are by themselves as well a the guages and the radio. Cig lighter is with the horn. See the attachment for the correct, from GM ,look at your fuse block.

2B1ASK1

8. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

On my 87, the tail light fuse is also for the courtesy (dash) light. I too had a short involving that perticular fuse. It was a bad ground in my rear lights. The owner before me put some fancy diamond plate with red lights to try to disguise the body lift gap. It shorted out my rear lighting (my blinkers and brake lights worked). I had to cut the wire to it. Now my lights work just fine. Hope you find out what's wrong.

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You are correct on the 87 the tail lights and courtesy lights are on the same fuse, but the dash lights are seperate.

2B1ASK1

10. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

Thanks for the help. courtesy sounds right. wanted to know what other wires to check for shorts besides the tail light wires and grounds.
    [​IMG]

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

11. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I had a wierd one happen to me, i kept blowing the courtesy light/cigarette lighter fuse in my 75 and when it would blow the courtesy light under the dash would come on, after many hours looking over the diagrams i finally found it, the lighter shorted and blew the fuse but then was back feeding ground through the fuse block and through the lights in the top to the light under the dash which was tied to a different hot circuit somewhere else. It was confusing and the only way i found it was to have the diagram myself, i would round one up somewhere, because after all the obvious reasons have been checked and it still does it, then you need to follow the wires, and its easier to do on paper then in the truck. just my .02

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"