Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuse blowing..

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bryguy00b, Jun 3, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well my new jvc unit is great and im loving it...and evreything was cool till today it blew the fuse twice! is it gruonding out someplace? were would i find it? im running a 15 fuse in there now..is that good? i would think its fine. it did it when i was playing a cd to.if that makes a difference...yes both times to. thanx

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

you had it installed, right? take it back and let them fix it. I do not think it makes a difference whether or not your playing a cd. May have just been coincidental. If you want, take a peek and locate the power wires under the dash and see how they connected them when installed. Most likely an easy fix. OOORRRR maybe there is a bigger problem that is related to your last unit burning out....hmmm....better let the experts in on that one.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well one thing i noticed was the fuse block area around the radio for the radio fuse was all melted looking but the fuse still goes in there and work.s but seems to be blowing somtimes like this. it looks like he just spliced and wraped it in electrical tape for the power. He said there might be some other electrical issues with it the truck which is true...but i dont see why it would do this if it was hooked up right. may have to hook it to another power source if it keeps doing it.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you trying to run amps through the fuse block or just the head unit?

Amps pull WAY too much current for a fuseblock setup....the melting of the block tells me either something is shorted, and/or VERY wrong.

If a shop did the install, make THEM figure it out!!!

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the block was like this when i bought the truck..the sterio in it did not work. i bought this new head unit and they put it in..thats it, there not resposnsible for any problems i have with it thats not related to the sterio or installation itself so...and yes im just running the head unit itself. if it keeps doing this should i just ground it someplce else and hook the power to another source?

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

well, the fact that it is blowing fuses is a good thing. It is meant to protect your equipment. So by bypassing it, you may just fry your head unit. Try another fuse on the fuse block for power. Also, make sure that the current setup is not touching any of the other fuse connections on the box. A small stray wire could be the culprit. I think there is a reason the last head unit was broke and this may be it.

To Greg72's point. If you have an amp, it should get power directly from battery or via a cap.

Wow, and to think, all you wanna do is turn up the volume to cover up the strange noises your truck makes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey im working on my strange noises! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif doing the front wheel bearings as we speak. but anyway..i dunno its a pain in the butt..i dont wanna take the radio out its a pain..i am after soem reasons why it would be doing this. there are no wires touching or anything like that, i dont get it! could you do it by using a in-line fuse for the radio instead of the fuse block?

8. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

You could use an inline fuse and bypass the fuse box completely. You could go to a power source under the hood. Make sure to use the right size fuse. The alpine I have came with the inline fuse already wired into the wiring harness, and they gave directions of how to hook directly to a power source. Check your manual and see what it says. Make sure to have a good ground when you re-wire.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

only seems to do it when i play a cd i swear. hate to do it but i guess im ganna have to take it out and run the power and ground wires some place else..

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok what could i hook the power and ground to...bypassing the fuse block? =-)

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok now my cd player wont turn on at all..it blew a fuse again and i put another one in and it turned back on fine..and i listend to the radio on my way to work..turned it of..then when i came back out to leave..it wont turn back on! any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif - cool

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

turns out the fuse i put in was blown..so i got it working again but it still blew the fuse again? how can i hook this up to something besides the fuse block? HOW?..sorry but i always get replys were how to actually do soemthing never gets explained..thanx!

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Buy Long wire and inline fuce holder. Put said inline fuce holder on end of long wire. Attach fuce holder end of ling wire to Possitive side of batt. Carefully route wire so it doesn't come in contact with any moving parts through engine compartment, through firewall. Connect other end to red wire of stereo. Finally, install fuce in the inline fuce holder on batt. side of long wire. (You can tie pos, and mem wires together. Usely red and orange or red and yellow. to the "Hot" power wire you just ran.) Remember, you'll need to manually turn your stereo off with this set up. It won't turn off when key is off.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

gotcha. thanx man! im just afraid that if i mess with it like that that ill void my waranty on it or something..

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not with a inline fuse next to the batt. Just make sure the fuse is the propper amp fuse for your stereo.