Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuse box: acc vs a/c

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supernaut, Nov 13, 2005.

1. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

Re-wiring part of my flex-a-lite dual electric fan set up here. It looks like I had it powered by the spade connector in the fuse that says "a/c" - a 20 amp circuit. It is a '75 and has the vertically ordered glass tube fuses. There is another free spade connector that says "acc". I assume that one is unfused, which is what I'm looking for. My problem is that it's a 30 amp system so I'm not interested in plugging back into the 20 amp fused "a/c" connector. anyone know if the "acc" connector is unfused? I'll go back to my wiring diagrams now.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Engine cooling fans should be wired through an inline fuse, then directly to the battery. They draw too much current to be wired to the fuse box.

3. supernaut

I haven't wired them directly to the battery, or more preferably, to the junction block, because I don't want the fans coming on when I turn the ignition off. I'm pretty sure the mfg instructions said to go to the fuse box. It has been a few years tho.

4. supernaut

yup. looks like I was wrong
    I would still like to know if the acc connector is unfused. and hopefully what gauge the wiring is that supplies power to it.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't even go to the junction block, as it is fed via a single wire that comes off of the starter. It was never intended to feed an extra 20-40 amps for fans. You'll most likely burn up the fusible link if you try to get power from there.

I don't know if the acc connection on the fuse panel is fused, but I just don't connect anything there. For lights, fans and such I use relays under the hood, with the load side fed by a direct battery connection. Late model Caddies, Buicks, and Olds cars have great auxilliary battery posts under the hood, along with racks of relays that are already wired to the aux post with fusible links. I grab 'em at the Pick-n-Pull and use 'em for everything. :cool1:

I have pics of the stuff I use near the bottom of this article:

http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck/tech_articles/Light_Install.htm

6. supernaut

great thanks for the info, I'll stay away from that junction block. I'll have to find a boneyard around here that let's you go out and sniff around.