Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuse box question SOLVED

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jul 10, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

are the "ignition" ports on the fuse box fused in some way?

i have the lockup converter, off road lights, and the plow controller all plugged into a different one and none of them work. (the plow controller doesn't work because the plow is not on the truck) there are no fuses blown in the fuse box

ive looked and don't see anything wrong with any wires /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

EDIT: they are fused, on the far left of the fuse box it goes from top down
    IGN
    IGN
    20 amp fuse
    IGN

the 20 amp fuse powers the IGN ports, it was blown. i moved the lights to a BATT and put a new fuse in and everything works.

2. big83chevy4x4

Re: fuse box question

anyone /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Not quite sure if they are fused on the fusebox, perhaps the fusible links in the engine compartment.

I do know you shouldn't run the lights off the fusebox. You run the lights to a relay under hood attached to battery , and then run a smaller 12 volt switched source for triggering relay, that can be ign of fusebox. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sounds kinda like a fusable link problem, check the wireing down by the starter, look for burned wireing, sometimes it'll burn the wire and not harm the insulation. good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Without looking at my electrical manual (from '86) some are fed (all?) through a 30A circuit breaker that is on the face of the fuse panel. Not a real good idea if your accessories don't all need 30 amps, so thats why I purchased a small 6 terminal aux. fuse panel.

The accessory ports are run off of metal "strips" on the back of the fuse panel...one wire will run to the strip, and that strip is the "feed" for say 3 or 4 of the fuses in a vertical line.

The shunts on the fuse panel connect those strips of metal so that you might have 2 of those metal strips (maybe 4-8 accessories) running from the same power wire.

Only two fusible links IIRC that feed the fuse panel, and if you lose one or the other, either the engine won't start, or the headlights won't work. This is from my knowledge of the same vintage GM cars which use the same fuse panel...you can't lose a fusible link without having one of the problems I mentioned above.

Makes sense I hope.

6. big83chevy4x4

everything else works fine.

i noticed the problem after i welded the floor in, i bumped the light switch and didn't notice it was on for 30 minutes of driving. a little while later the converter wouldn't lockup. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

anyone got an electrical diagram for an 83 truck? tazz?

7. big83chevy4x4

update at top