Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuse panel under the hood troubleshooting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Feb 12, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

aight... question...
    got the truck all up and running.. had starting issues today... even got it running alot better....more on the timing side...

so anyway... I drove down the road and noticed my dash lights were out... drove home and my headlights are out... my cigarette lighter is out....
    seems I lost all batt spots on the fuse panel but have all the acc spots.. so radio and other stuff still work... truck still drives so I will be fine to drive to inspection....
    however between tonight and tomorrow I am going to work on it later tonight...

more like 9pm

my horn and cig lighter are dead (use cig for gps for speedometer) so the fuse is good but bet the power to it is dead....

any ideas

2. RootBreaker

13 views and no replies???
    what do yall do if you have harness wiring problems???

p.s. painless wiring solution is too expensive :haha:

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build a better one... Well, you asked... :wink1:

Anyway, fusable link maybe? Did you check power at the junction block up above the booster?

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

there is a juction block on the firewall, I believe that is where the power comes from, check if the wire broke or doesn't have power there,

5. RootBreaker

guess I had that one coming :haha:

anyhow...
    #1 the truck starts and runs....
    #2 I have electric fuel pump, radio, all gauges, tach, wipers, turn signals
    #3 I have checked the voltage off the back of the alt and it is good
    #4 I have checked the junction box that yous guys are refering too (n.e. grammer fer yous guys...) and voltage is there too.....

not too sure but I have to goto inspection tomorrow... so they can check what I failed... and that is..
    no front mudflaps, fix exhaust with correct hangers, take offroad lights off rollbar and 2 off front bumper and also fix my power steering.. it puked when I got there.. so there is no reason for them to check my wiring and stuff.. just that I wont have brake lights (at least havent checked yet )but do know I dont have parking lights or headlights....

mainly my spots on my fusebox that says bat have 0 volts to them... so im going to go out soon and pop that puppy off the firewall... my next step tomorrow is to goto a junkyard and see how much they want for a harness... all 3...
    harness to headlights, engine and cab.......:wink1:

I have always had wiring problems with the truck.. wonder if it is when I did my swap back in 1989....
    [​IMG]

my drivetrain today... well a d60 front added...
    [​IMG]

hmmm wiring problems... i see no problem...
    [​IMG]

6. RootBreaker

aight..... case closed....

fixed it.. well not really 100%

I took my fuse panel off the firewall and viola....
    when I pried it apart.. there was a wire that had a bare spot to it...
    well then I noticed there is another wire that it was mashed up to... that other wire was the BATT connectors!!!!!!
    and that wire only has like 6 threads holding it together...
    I was going to break it off.. try and solder it back on but instead tried it and viola... it is working again.. have headlights...
    so tomorrow I am going to check my cig plug for my pda.... and also maybe that is why my horn worked now and then... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I still have to "FIX" it so im going to go to a junkyard over the next few weeks and find the best price for ALL wiring for my truck.. so if anyone has a donor parts truck...

I need the wiring harness for a 1987 front quad headlight setup (my harness is trashed and so many connectors, tape and wirenuts holding it together)
    engine harness.... mine is so messed up... I need from the plug on the cab to everything... starter, alt, temp, oil sender, etc.....
    then I need the cab wiring.... full deal that is in GREAT shape.... then I will make sure to wire everything right...