Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fusebox and oilpressure gauge question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4swede, Oct 21, 2002.

1. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

Where in the bloody hell is the fusebox located in a 87 K5??
    I searched like a idiot and cant find it hehe, Im either blind as a bat or totaly stupified -p.
    Problem 2. my oilpressure gauge suddenly is in max, been running hot engine about 45 , but after saturdays longhaul in a snowblizzard (150 kilometres and 1 to 2 feet snow) it stoped move from max ,pegged all way to the end (, gauge failure or shortcut or sending unit bad? How does the gauge act when the sending unit is not working? goes to zero or max?

2. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

You have the same problem I do with my oil pressure guage. Your fusebox is located under your dash on the driver's side. As far as the oil pressure guage goes it has to do with the wires that plug into the sending unit which is down behind the distributor. What I did is just hooked up a mechanical guage and forot about the one in the dash. You still have to leave the old one hooked up though because it acts as a fuel pump cut off switch.

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

fuel pump cut off switch?????????? PLEASE tell me thats for elec pumps.......I unhooked mine and completely got rid of it and put a mechanical in its place.....have not seen any problems, but..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Raise the hood of your truck. See that big bunch of wires going into the firewall, just under the brake booster? Just on the inside of the firewall, at that location, is the fuse box. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. HarryH3

There isn't a fuel pump cutoff switch on GM trucks. There is an oil pressure switch on EFI trucks that will send power to the fuel pump in the event that the fuel pump relay fails. When oil pressure is at least 4 PSI or so, the switch is on. It would only act as a fuel cutoff if the fuel pump relay were not working.

GM's EFI will shut off the fuel pump if the engine stops running though. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECM. If the ECM isn't getting an RPM signal from the distributor, then it will turn off the pump after 2 seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. 4x4swede

LOL Im getting a new sets of glasses -p (feels like a foreye already)

7. HarryH3

Ha Ha! I'll bet that you were looking under the hood for the fuse box. A buddy of mine always drove old Saabs (95's and 96's) and they had the fuse box under the hood with the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Are all European and Scandanavian cars built like that? Seems that I've also seen BMW's with the fuse box under the hood.

8. 4x4swede

Lol I sure as hell did look under the hood -p, but also inside but I missed it hehe. And BMW is a sick car hehe it have fuses all over the body even under the back seat ( (ditched my BMW and got me the K5 actualy)) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Thanx...about had a slight coronary for a moment...dont need this thing to burn again! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif