Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fused power to the cab (Dorian?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Feb 10, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the fusible link(s) amp rating for the power to the fuse block? It seems to me whether they used one or multiple fusible links it was rated for 50 amps. Is this true?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Appreciate the confidence in my knowledge, but this is something I'd have to check in the wiring manual. I've never had a problem with mine, so I have no idea what is required/used.

I'd think like you it would be something fairly high since there are so many 30 amp fuses/circuit breakers on the fuse panel, just no idea exactly what they are.

What are you working on or having problems with?

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the one in the painless kit was a 50 amp blade type fuse

the kit is supposed to be the same as a stock harness so i would think that yours would be a 50 amp to

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, if I remember correctly there are two 18 gauge fusible links coming off the starter going towards the cab but I'm not sure. One should be for switched power and one should be for battery power I believe. I'm pretty sure 18 gauge fusible links are rated for 50 amps and 20 gauge fusible links are rated for 40 amps.

Even with a trailer your marker lights draw less than 10 amps and it's got either a 20 or 25 amp fuse. Most of the circuits on a car have a fuse 2-3 times what they actually draw.

My truck has a wiring disaster in it. Everything is fused and done "right" but it's still a disaster. I've easily doubled the amount of wires in my truck.

I'm trying to keep the project vehicle from having the same wiring disaster. Compound that with moving the batteries to the rear of the vehicle and things need to be rewired. I'm going to a keyed 1000amp switch so I can turn off the power to the cab and the starter. Everything small is getting rocker-type illuminated circuit breakers instead of inline ATC fuses. I haven't ordered any circuit breakers for the cab power yet because I don't know what I need.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think it was 30 amps. When I was having problems with my wiring I fired out a GM wire at the starter that was a fuseable link wire. I believe it was 12 or 10 gauge wire that was rated for 30 amps.

I recently rewired my firewall post with 8 guage wire and a 60 amp fuse. I had problems with 30 amps not being enough to support the additions I made in the cab with gauges, ECM power, fuel pump power, etc.

I went to Best Buy and got there car audio fuse holder for the 8 gauge wire. They only had 30 amp and 60 amp fuses so I got the 60 amp. I would have reather found a 40-50 amp fuse but they don't carry them.

Everything on the inside of the cab is fuse protected so I am not that worried about the 60 amp fuse but I am going to keep looking for something a little less.

Harley