Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fusible link ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddog, Jan 3, 2005.

1. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

OK, I know there is a way just can't find the info. How do you figure the amp rating of fusible links? I know it has to do with the wire size, but thats all I can remember. Thanks

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  3. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

thanks for the link,. I knew about the size diff thing but there is somewhere i read the ratings or a way to find them maybe ... maybe not:dunno:

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

on a similar note why could they not be replaced with the inline fuse holders for the blade type fuses. Having them the fuse holder mounted on the firewall with extra fuses in the truck would make it a lot easier to repair if they were to fail. Just as easy as changing a fuse under the dash? Is this crazy talk or just too logical and convenient for GM to have done?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too quick??

I think a fuse might blow too quickly--you would not want a fuse to blow every time there was a slight surge of voltage--a circuit breaker would probably be better--GM knew they had to use something to prevent the whole harness from going up in smoke if a major short curcuit occurred,whether the fusible links were the right choice is up for debate--personally,I hate the damm things,not for what they are,but for the stupid locations they put them in,and how they can cause all types of intermittent electrical problems,they should be either good or junk,but I've seen several of them "half fried" that only acted up once in a while--I should be grateful though--thanks to that type fusible link,I got a good truck cheap when the owner got sick of calling for assistance every time it wouldnt start..:laugh: :D