Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fusible link

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Chris, Jul 31, 2006.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

im replacing the burnt up fusible link going to the control side of my starter solonoid, and im having trouble finding the right size. the biggest napa has is 14awg. mine is a 3.0SQ MM which iirc is closer to 12 awg? anybody know where other than the dealership i can get a fusible link that big? im thinking about using the 14awg one, but i dont want it to burn up on me and i not be able to start my truck. the wire going down to the fusible link looks like its closer to 10awg, though its probably metric.

2. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I couldn't find the premade fusible links in the right guage, so I got rolls of 14ga and 10ga yesterday from my NAPA. That and some butt connectors with the adhesive heat shrink on it did me just right. Lowes had the connectors I needed. Not knowing exactly what burned my links, I had more on hand to build another just in case. I think I paid about $5 for each roll of fusible link wire.

The wires they were connected to were 12ga and 8 ga.

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

:doah: i was in napa and didnt even think to see if they had rolls. ill check that out thanks.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

smaller...

According to GM,the fusible links are two gauges smaller than the wires they protect..so a 12 gauge wire uses a 14 gauge fusible link,etc..I usually rob good ones from junkyard wiring harnesses than show no signs of having been overloaded..sometimes the stores dont have the exact ones you need,and you KNOW a factory one is the right one...:crazy: