Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FYI on crappy grinder...do not buy this...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, May 11, 2005.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

If you are going to buy a grinder that looks in any way like these no matter the color DO NOT PURCHASE IT. They are typically cheap but they are the biggest piece of poop in the electric tool genre. Although they are a good holiday noise maker for like New Years or The 4th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I love my bosch grinder :grin:
    Thanks
    Adam

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

You get what you pay for is the way I see it.
    I bought the orange one from Harbpr Freight and it didnt last a month, the worst part is that when the grinder broke I was using the chop saw (also from Harbor freight) and it stopped working to. I was pist :mad:

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

lmao, dad told me he had a surprise for me, he had gone to a swapmeet in AZ and found someone selling them for I *think* $1.

I got about 2 minutes use out of it before the shaft started eating into the housing because there is no bearing nor bushing.

Dad figures the price was at least worth the disks it came with lol. :)

I took the brushes out too, but no idea if they will fit in something else.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I like my Harbor freight $15 4" grinder. Totaly worth it IMO. I got the 2 year warranty so if I get two years out of its totallly worth it. I think I'm gonna get another one so I can have one with a grinding wheel and one with a flap disk.

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I love my 4 1/2" grinder. I forget what brand it is, but it is either Bosch or Black and Decker. I've probably put about 300 hours use on it. I cut steel, concrete, granite, I even have a chainsaw disk for wood carving.

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have two 4in makita grinders that are about 4 or 5 years old and one 4 1/2 makita thats 1 or 2 years old, i have abused all of them like a filthy whore...and they just keep on running like new. :grin:

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

So far so good for my cheapy orange one . Been working for me on cutting body panels and grinding rivets off the frame etc .

I didn't expect much buying it , and got my 15 bucks back already I suppose .

So I am at least happy here :D

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've used my Harbor Freight 4 1/2 for about a year and had no problems. For $15 its been great.

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i bought the "high end" harbor freight grinder on sale for $35, been using it for over a year with no problems... well one of the brush caps fell off, so when ever the grinder acts up i have to push the brush back in. i need to stick something in there and tape it shut one of these days.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I must be blessed...

I've had 2 of those exact grinders!--I got 1 at a "Ocean State Job Lot" store,
    the other at a swap meet--I've seen them sell for 4 bucks,but never a dollar!--I bought quite a few to give to friends and they did eventually kill theirs,but not until a long period of abuse went by--we all felt we got enough use from them to equal the cost(they are 15 bucks now at the store!)..but I would not tell anyone to buy one and expect it to be a miquita or bosch or othe "good" brand name..or last as long..mine is dying because I dropped it too many times and a few bolts that hold the gear housing to the motor had the threaded bosses snap off :blush: --no way to fix that!--but there's a swap meet this weekend nearby and...... :thinking: :whistle: :grind: :waytogo: just in time!,, :crazy:

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I bought my Ryobi for $35 at home depot, and it came with a grinding wheel, flap disk, wire wheel, and plastic case. It's taken a lot of abuse and still works like new!

[​IMG]

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    i got mine at home depot to, 90 bucks, it rocks i love it , great tools, ill be getting their cordless tool set once i get the money

14. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

i rock the midgrade dewalt, its pretty sweet

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

After my Craftsmen 4.5" angle grinder broke, I went with a Milwaukee HD unit. It works great!!! :thumb:

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

yep i had ywo of those cheapy junkers. then i got a dewalt! SOOOOOOO much better. I could stop the cheapys with a cutting sisk and my fender sheetmetal. the dewalt takes some serous missuse to get it to quit sping thedisk.

17. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I blew up the highest grade dewalt last week after only four months of use. Ever seen a grinder fly?

18. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Opinions are like a**holes, so here's mine

Unsolicited, but imho I'll buy lots of stuff from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, swap meets, surplus stores, etc. but I draw the line on anything that requires precision, sharpness, hard durability, or strength. Especially where my knuckles are concerned. I have gotten a parts washer, casters, things like that there, but the other stuff I insist on name brand reputable equipment.
    So there!

19. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

See above post, grinder blew up after four months of light use.

20. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

This piece of ebay crap cannot grind. I have to sit there and constantly adjust the light pressure I apply to keep it spinning or I gotta hit and run to spin the disk back up. It also over heats after you grind a couple little welds. Not to mention they forgot to install a bearing or something, I am waiting for the disk to eject as I am grinding things. I really want one with some amperage so I can tear some stuff up.