Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

G.M. Truck-ish ..thing.... of the month!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Twiz, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Right awn!

Congrats Russ! (Bad dog)

I've seen the thing in action, it's a pretty awesome.
    First run out and he took on Upper Helldorado. I'd say that should speak for it's self.
    Fairly simple rig with the right combination, nothing fancy, just a good working trail-rig. Light weight, 1-ton running gear, and...um... a fire-wall. (the cage work is perfect, a-few people commented on the halo-bar, looks like it's one piece).

Nice work Russ, now if you would just pay for the gas.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ya beat me to it Eric!! Congrats Russ...you have an awesome rig that very much deserves to be on the home page for a month!!

Rene

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'll agree, although I am a rather light wheeler at the time I love seeing works of art that are so functional win the honor of truck of the month! Nice trail-ready not overly costly rig and great pics! You're up there with the best of the best trucks I've seen around here. Congrats!

4. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I'll second that, or third, er whatever. Just shows that you can build a killer trail rig/crawler out of a fullsize and without throwing buckets of money at it.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Just in case anyone has missed some of these shots from the Upper Helldorado run. (some of my favorites)

web page (they are in order, just click "next" in web-shots)
    web page
    web page
    web page

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

*taking down rear spring mount ideas*

Mmmhmm...yes...very good truck! [​IMG]

*continues writing* /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

mmmhmm... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Nice truck Russ but like said before next time make sure you pay for your gas, and "I dont want to see this thing on the road again" (famous Moab police quote)

8. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Congrats, although there's not much "blazer" left huh /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BIGJ

9. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Nice truck Russ but like said before next time make sure you pay for your gas, and "I dont want to see this thing on the road again" (famous Moab police quote)

[/ QUOTE ]
    There's a story behind all this i'd like to hear...did Russ get pulled over or something? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First, thanks for all the kind words. It works well for what I wanted and it didn't cost too much, but it took allot of work. Still more work to go…

As for the rest…

ARGGHHH!!!! I just knew someone would bring that up! Eric and Butch, thanks ALOT! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Now I gotta type all this junk. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Here is the (semi) short story. I ran out of time to finish my rig and get it inspected for tags (which I honestly plan to do). But I did get brake lights and most everything I need for AZ street legal done before Moab. But, I figure I can trailer to some trails, and others I can flat tow in/out with a tow bar (thanks Alan for the bar and Marv for the tow offer). So, everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) with Moab experience kept telling me, (to paraphrase and sum up) “Nobody will bother you in moab, buggies with no tags (and often no lights) run the roads here all the time and the cops don’t bother them. It’s their entire economy so they look the other way.” But, take a look at my “title” and avatar. I chose “SOL” and Willy for a reason! Still, I let popular opinion sway me. On Saturday morning I drove it to the meeting point, getting gas on the way. Gas was filled before my Black Canyon quick-check run so it only needed about 2 gallons to top off. Picked up ice, food, water, etc. and went on to the meeting. I got into the middle of the caravan between Marv and Rob (so no insurance issues and minimal chance of notice). Almost out of town and a patrol car with lights flashing cuts Rob out from behind me and pulls me over. @#%#$, @#$%#%, @@%#$%, and @#%#%!!! Within minutes there were 3 patrol cars there and 4 officers. Always me.

Well, turns out that they weren’t that bent over my no registration, not tag, and no insurance. But the lady at the gas station swore I got 19 gallons of gas and drove off without paying. Luckily I had my receipt and paid by card, but she insisted that I must have pumped twice and got the additional 2 gallons too. Well, I have a small K5 gas tank (23 gallons total?) now so you guys know that driving in and putting in over 21 gallons in is not likely. Anyway, he follows me BACK through town to talk to her and she eventually gives it up. I absolutely refused to pay for it, I didn’t get it and that’s that. The officer was pretty cool about the whole thing really. At the end he said, “You’ve already had a bad morning and all your buddies are waiting so I won’t make it any worse by getting you for the plates and all, so I’m going to let you go on out today. But, I don’t want to see it on the road again after today.” To which my obvious response was, “Thank you sir, no problem sir, thank you very much sir.” bowing and scraping as I backed away. Of course I’m pissed and upset at holding up several guys waiting on me to hook up with the Rusty Nail group so I swear I’ll never go there again. BTW, if I didn’t get a chance to thank all of you that were willing to wait and help me, ***THANKS***. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Day 2. Times running short, my rigs on the trailer, I need gas, and the only convenient station where I could easily fit the tow rig and trailer was, you guessed it… So, I tell myself, “accidents happen, she made a mistake, don’t cause yourself more problems just because of yesterday…” And I pull in to get gas, food, ice, etc. Takes forever to get gas due to a pinched vent line on the tank. After about 3 minutes of pull, pop, wait, pull, pop, wait… the pump just turns off with a notice saying “see attendant inside”. I go inside pissed thinking they are harassing me but she says, sorry, hit the wrong button, just put your credit card in and start over, which I do. About 5 minutes later my buddy from Sat shows up. I chat with him pointing to the rig on the trailer saying, “see, it’s on a trailer”. Figured maybe he just saw me there and stopped to chat some more. He was really pretty cool. Nope, the bitch manager called them. Anyway, he asks if I paid for it I show him both receipts, explaining that they cut the pump off on me. He says he will go in and make sure everything is ok so we don’t have a repeat. My response is, “Please do!” Within minutes, 3 cruisers again. One is a total stereotypical pompass ass POS cop. Must have been a supervisor or something because my buddy and the other guy (also friendly) clamed up. Chest poked out like a Marine drill sergeant, dark shades, and arrogant asinine tone. He takes my receipts, demands everyone present hand over their IDs (Keith and Eric) so he can “get their information” in case he needs to contact them. Then informs me that he is going to pull the tapes and find out if I stole the gas or not, and, if I did, they will be knocking on our doors. I told him to pull them and look at them all he wants, I didn’t take the gas and I won’t be seeing you at my door. At that point I was getting pretty hot, but I kept my mouth mostly shut. Small town Barney Fife could easily ruin the rest of my trip. I did tell him at that point that my friends were waiting and that if there was nothing else I was leaving. Again I say, I’ll never go there again…

Later, talking to Eric and others, we came to the conclusion that my $30 odd dollars of lost business would not even be noticed (obviously) but that by going by again on Monday, we could sure piss them off. So, we did. Spent 30 minutes or so fueling up, taking our time, this time, no cops. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I’m not a thief, I don’t steal, and it was not an accident. There is no way I pumped 21 gallons of gas into my POS. All I can say is I hope that bitch is married to a drunken wife beating homosexual who gives her aids along with his POS fag cop boyfriend. But, I’m all calmed down now, not at all bitter about the experience. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

So, there it is. Full disclosure of my rein of terror in Moab … /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

lol, that is a hell of a story, So did you get rid of all your bad luck for the trip? Or did you still have some probs on the trails? seems like with that much bad luck happening there wasnt anymore left for the trails. ;]

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

...outlaw...! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Marv

13. BadDog

Yeah, it seemed to have actually consumed my bad luck for the trip. Things went MUCH better than I expected on a rigs maiden voyage after a complete reconstruct/fabrication fest. I found a couple of "oh, I must be a total dumb a**" type mistakes (for instance, my left rear tire hits the gas filler at full stuff when crossed up) but nothing major. I also found out that I need to tweak the rear suspension becuase I completely toasted a set of rear springs in only 3 days. But, no significant breakage and it went pretty much anywhere I wanted to go.

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what you mean you toasted your rear springs? They all bent up now or something?

15. BadDog

Yeah, my main leaf on both sides is "doing the wave". In places you could almost slide a pencil between the main and second leaf with it just sitting there. Several things contributed including wedging my 42s under a ledge. Forward and reverse did nothing but twist the axle back and forth making some crazy “bows” out of the springs. Had to be strapped to break one tire free so I could get loose without completely destroying them. I think that’s what started it, the rest of the trip just finished them off. Probably would not have happened if I had been running an anti-wrap bar. I have no wheel hop but that would have kept it from twisting like it did. Also, I’ve got to put some bumpstop limiters on my shackles. It’s got so much flex in the rear that we actually saw the shackles inverting and locking.

16. tRustyK5

All I can say is I hope that bitch is married to a drunken wife beating homosexual who gives her aids along with his POS fag cop boyfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]Glad to hear you're calmed down /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Don't feel bad...I have the same type of luck. If there is a way to get into trouble doing something that nobody else gets hassled for I will find it!!

As for the gas story...cool. I actually have a dumb gas station story too. I got off work at 2:30 am and found the station near work (35 miles from home) had cheap fuel. I reach in my pocket and find some cash and started pumping. I figured I had enough cash and if I didn't I'd use my debit card for the rest. The truck took about $6 more than I had on me but it was stuffed full of fuel...

I walk inside and reach for my wallet to get my debit card only to realize I didn't have it with me/forums/images/icons/blush.gif/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I ended up having to leave a bunch of info and my license plate number and came back the next day to pay the last $6 off /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

17. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

glad to hear no tickets.its nice to meet some"kewl" cops for a change huh?most that i have met up with either have the attitude or they can sympothise the situation.being respectfull to the cops has definitely gotten me outr of a couple of jams that would have been much worse had i been a ass about it.glad you got no tickets or charges brought against you.strupid gas pump attendants. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

not really much blazer left.i can see why the springs are gone.if you had any more blazer there you would never be able to move with the tires stuffed like that.awesome buggy. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Awesome rig, I wanna come out your way and go wheeling with you guys. Good story too, kinda makes you wonder WTF with the lady though!!! By the way, mine wrap up like that too - waved my last ones right off the truck.

Rene - that happened to me just 2 weeks ago. Isn't that embarrassing!

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

So, there it is. Full disclosure of my rein of terror in Moab

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!

Good to see you not bitter about it, not bitter at-all. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif