Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

G-Tech Pro?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 31, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I never really though to much about them, but at my local speed shop they had one out for me to play with /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and its pretty cool they have a new one thats $250 it measures alot of stuff and I no idea how because the only wire is 1 to ur lighter... I know its probably not a "offroad" thing but has anyone used these? Im thinking about getting one

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As long as te conditions are ideal (perfectly flat surface to play on) they seem to be pretty accurate.

I think it was BFG that was giving them away if you bought 4 tires or something like that. Been about 2 years though.

3. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I have the older version and as the other feller said, it's decently accurate if all the variables are correct. I have made several 1/4 mile passes at the strip with the G-Tech on board and it's close but not perfect.

For 1/4 numbers, you have to have the unit leveled right and make your runs on a flat surface {even better, make at least 2 or 3 runs in both direction and average}. Also, tire spin tends to make the results more suspect.

The MPH is always off. The reason is that the G-Tech measures mph at exactly the 1/4 mile mark. At the strip, they average mph over the last 100ft or so {can't remember for sure} so there is no way the two mph numbers are going to be the same. Most of the time, the G-tech is around 2-3 mph off.

ET can be pretty good if the unit is adjusted right {maybe a couple of tenths off}.

Horsepower can also be close if you input the correct weight of the vehicle {has to be exact, close won't cut it}. I made some runs with my Firebird when it was stock. It came up with around 300 HP, my Kia rio chimmed in at 80HP /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif, the 85 Mustang 5.0 came in at 175 HP. Remember, these are rear wheel numbers. Pretty dern close! At least within 20 horses or so.

As I said, I have the older version that can be bought for around a 100 bucks or so. The new version should be better. Heck, it even has a shift light, built in tach and you no longer have to level the unit.