Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

G80 limited slips.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by redbeast, Feb 13, 2001.

1. redbeast

redbeast Registered Member

Hi: Jus wondering if the g80 carriers are any good. Ive heard the they unlock after 20mpg. I guess thats way they call them gov-locks.. Ive have on in my 85 with 3.43 gears in the rear with open in frount.If they are not worth having maybe i could put that one in frount an get some sort of locker in the rear..By the way its a 10 bolt (arhggggg) but I really dont bang on the truck to bad.. Jus a little mudding and off roading when i can find a place to do it in... Thanks in advance... RGee...

2. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

ive wondered the same thing. Since mine does not work i wonder (maybe if i use a special gear lube it might work don't know) if i did get it to work would it fit the d-44, or just a 10 bolt?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On grass or mud, if you chalk the front wheels so the truck can't move, but the rear wheels can spin, you can actually watch one wheel spin then the other lock up. It seemed to be about 1500RPM before they would lock in my truck. Spinning large tires in no traction situations=broken diff. Ease into the throttle if you need to rev it up, so that one axle doesn't get going too fast before it locks up. (heavy tires make the problem worse, the added rotational weight is too much) I have had two of them. Did not break the first one, and even though it wasn't working correctly when I bought it, once my friend broke one of the weight/spring assemblies tryiong to fix it, it worked fine! I put another one in my current K5, and since i know it's limitations, I am careful of how I beat on the thing.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, I wouldn't waste the time to move it to the front. I have just never had good luck with the Gov-Lock in 10-bolt axles. My '90 had under 50,000 miles when I bought it and the Gov-Lok was basically none existent and wouldn't lock up, even in very mild situations and when slightly applying the emergency brake to try to fool it. At about 75,000 miles it literally exploded and was never really used hard.