Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gabriels......any complaints?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jun 23, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Has anybody had problems with gabriels fading or breaking? I'm going with 4" RC and 1" zero rates in the front, with ford shock towers, and I'm going with an echobit flip out back. I plan on getting G63438 12" travel gabriels at all 4 corners, and leaving the rear shock mounting locations stock for the time being. Any thing I can be concerned about? I plan on using the truck in a variety of terrains, from high speed dirt roads, to slower technical trails.

thanks,
    James

2. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Yup; one of them lasted just one weekend. They've held up really well since then in the back of my shed...:D

3. 78Suburban

wonderful

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

12" gabriels (or any other brand) in the stock rear location with 4" of lift is going to rip off the upper shock mounts in a hurry. Especially if you do any 'high speed' stuff.

Shocks are one of those thing where you get what you pay for. I'd look at some entry level mono-tubes if I were you, and if you don't plan on making custom upper mounts I'd also get a realistic length so they don't bottom out.

The Bilstein 5125's are good without being ridiculously expensive. 5150's are a step up from there at about $100 a corner.

Rene

5. 78Suburban

is it possible to leave the stock mounting location on the 14ff, but still build a bracket between the frame rails for the top mounts?

the echobit makes 5.5" of lift in the rear, would that still be as bad?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You'd have to alter the mounts on the diff too...FWIW the stock location will give you the best damping and axle wrap control. Inboarded is OK if you want lots of flex with somewhat short shocks.

Just unhook your current shocks and flex the truck out on something, enough to lift a tire. Measure the stuffed side between the diff and frame mounts, then measure the flex'd out side the same way. That'll give you your maximums. It's more important IMO to make sure the shock isn't too long on the compressed side of things. A bit too short and it'll just limit droop a little, too long and it'll bottom out and break off mounts...

Rene

7. 78Suburban

So for heavy throttle stuff, where axle wrap could be a concern, the stock shock mounting location is actually better?

I think those gabriels I'm looking at are 18" compressed and 30" extended. Somebody said they were basically the same length that came with a 4" lift kit. I guess I should wait untill I get the flip installed to worry about buying shocks.

thanks,
    James.

8. 78Suburban

9. 78Suburban

Any other oppinions on gabriels? So if I use the stock mounting location and an ehcobit flip out back (5.5" of lift) what part number should I use??

thanks,
    James

10. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i had them on my truck 6"lift no high speed

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Like was said if you dont plan on any high speed stuff they will be fine. Just be careful if you flex well in the rear and can stuff them you will put alot of stress on the upper rear mount when the shock bottoms out. You can help eliviate part of the problem by changing the position of the mounts on the axle. I run these shocks with stock uppers and a shackle flip and I do bottom them out and also use them as limit straps but it is only temporary until I can get the Diy4x inboard kit. As far as driving on the road they work just fine even large bumps the shafts only move 2-3 inches.

Ira

12. 78Suburban

so is there a shock that will work ok with stock mounting location in the rear and a shackle flilp? Or do shackle flips simply flex too much for shocks to be mounted in the stock rear location?

So if I ride down any bumpy dirt roads at a decent pace, the gabriels are destined to blow out?