Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GAHH new project I must frankenstein together...

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, my bro in his infinite wisdom suggested an idea for a light dragster, specificaly a light drag truck... get a caddy eldorado drivetrain ( they're front wheel drive) and bolt that onto the front of a chevy truck. then, you have a relatively lightweight body, stuck to a realatively high cube engine, with all the weight directly on the drive wheels. well, he got me thinking about it, and yeah, that sounds like a semi cool idea, but why not go 1 up on it... get a second caddy eldo front wheel drive engine, transaxle etc, and put that in the back of the truck along with the one up front... even better, chuck it all in a suburban shell, and no one would ever be the wiser, except for perhaps the emissions guys, although I wouldn;t have to run both engines for that, I don;t think... of course, if its a custom vehicle, I may be able to get away without emissions... I'll have to check state ruling, and see what they have to say or sompin... perhaps put the Door with the VIN from the dual engine suburban onto the single engine 454 suburban, and have emissions pulled on that instead. they never check the steel VIN tags for me, so I might be able to get away with it...

anyone have any suggestions/comments/really valid reasons as to why it wouldn't work?

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

# 1 reason a front whel drive truck wont work :
    TRACTION
    Go out to the dragstrip and wath the hondas run. Bone stock 18 second hondas spin there tires. What happens is when you launch all your weight transfers to the back and takes all the weight off the front wheels. Import guys are using wheelie bars in an opposite affesct of a RWD car. They set them up so they are on the ground the whole time so the cars cant transfer weight, but it slows them down, unles they use the hydrulic style that the car lift once the get halfway down the track. Alot of work and not work it.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I don't think you'll ever be able to get the 2 engines to run in unison. One will always be pulling more than the other.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm not as worried about one pulling more then the other, as they'll be pretty closely matched. if one pulls the other along, I think it'd mostly just help the other one accelerate better. when I'm rich, and king of the world, I plan to try it, just to see what happens.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

5. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

people have been building multi motored vehicles for awhile drag racers did it decades ago,TOMMY IVO was running 2 blown buick nailheads on nitro in 1960 and in the 8s.tractor pullers do it a lot still.
    from what ive heard outside of chassis mods and over coming the weight of the extra motor.(in drag racing)getting the motors timed together seemed to be the hardest part.IMHO i think going the whole drivetrain and motor swap would be the way to go to ease the timing problem
    would be a lot of work,but would be worth it,again IMHO
    goodluck.
    i used to have some pretty cool links to multi motored cars ill try to dig them up they may have some stuff that will help of youll find interesting.
    try this one click on members rides,TOMMY IVO

www.standard1320.com

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"