Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gahhh, going crosseyed (need turbo info)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Oct 29, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK, I just picked up a complete ATS turbo set-up for my 6.2. The turbo is in need of a rebuild or replacement. I do have numbers on the tag, but can't seem to find anything that helps me. It appears to be a GT35, definitely Garrett (cast "Garrett" on the compressor side). Also has "AR .60" in raised cast and "M24"

The bearings are pretty bad, although i can't make either wheel hit the housing. The exhaust wheel looks good, but the compressor wheel looks chewed on a few fins (not good :doah: )

Still spins free, but with a few chunks out of the compressor wheel i don't think it's going to maintain any sort of balance. Anyone with turbo sites bookmarked?

I'm looking for replacement prices (comparison reasons) as well as component prices for the normal stuff plus compressor wheels. I'm also looking for rebuilt prices.

Anyways, if anyone knows for sure which model of Garrett the old ATS kits used, even that'd be a big help.

Almost forgot, the Garrett numbers i have are : VEL0130, and 408105-5115

rene

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First:
    When I get to my burb (it's in storage) I will get you what information I have on my turbo (it's the ATS).
    Second:
    For a band aid fix I would take that wheel and shave the fins as best I can to make the fins equal, that will help the balance until you can find a replacement.
    Or you might be good then, remember some people clip their fins to get faster spooling at lower RPM's must not be that much of a big deal for balance as long as all are within a tolerance.
    :D

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Would NOT recommend that. These things spin at 100,000+ rpm... a little imbalance gets really out-of-hand at those kinds of speeds. Even a bent blade, that has no missing material, can imbalance a turbine wheel.

Rene, I'll try to get to my other computer tomorrow and pull some of the turbo sites I bookmarked for ya. If not tomorrow, at least by the end of the week.

4. tRustyK5

No rush Ken, (and I'd much appreciate any links or info you have) this is something I'm targetting for after Christmas at the soonest. I need a break from the spending for a while. :crazy:

I agree with the blade modifying as being a bad idea. It appears this thing was run without a filter for a while and ate something...then the small chinks missing helped wipe out the bearings shortly after that.

Rene

5. tRustyK5

I *should* be able to find a local shop in or around Vancouver...but if i can't then yes I'd very much like your recomendations.

Trust me, I had no intention of using this compressor wheel.

Rene