Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Galaxy 99 a good choice?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 82Jimmy, Jul 24, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I really want it, but its like $350-450. I know where I can get one for $275 though...brand new. (underground stolen...not really) Is it easy to mod? Can you run a big amp through it? It has ssb and am...do they work as well together? Also what is a base unit?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

2. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

not too familiar w/ the galaxy, but if you are gonna lay down the $$ go for the SSB feature + get it tweeked by the shop you buy it from, most shops will do it too. a base station unit is what you keep at home, the unit in your rig is a moble unit, and walkie-talkies are handheld units.
    also, i'd say if you're gonna get a good radio and put an amp and power into it, then get a wilson 5000 or a firestik antenna and have it tuned. a 14' whip just seems like an overkill, and i'm wondering how long it will last with all the stuff you'll be banging it into- trees, overpasses, lights, etc. if you do go for it do get a solid mount or a three or five point mag mount, a regular one point mag mount will pop right off...
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT.

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

3. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i know it is...but I was wondering if it was legal for me to have one? You know if it was legal for me to bang the stop lights with my antenna....that galaxy is cool it can do am and ssb...will tuning it void my warentee? I know its illegal, but how many of you guys got an amp? And how much was the before and after difference. Gosh I have so many projects...and so little time and experience to do them.

http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com[url]

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

ok 82jimmy

am is what a cb talks on most of the time so it is on ever cb. Ssb is fun to play on. Galaxy is some real good stuff but cost so dang much for 300$ you could get a conex or a superstar and and amp. I run a 250 watt amp and going to get a 1500 watt amp.

where are you going to mount your tenner if were you I would get a wilson 5000 like Hayduke seid that is what I run and love it.

here is a pic of my superstar 3900

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

man won't 1500 be easy for someone to turn you in? man you will kill the old guys with pacemakers lol

http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Gee my Kenwood duel band with 100 watts and a good ant. Was only 300.00 a full wave ant. is only 80 inches long!! but then I can talk to any one with it, any one wit a phone that is, range can be as much as 1000 miles though some repeters. It also has the airplane band,police & fire band so I can hear all of them!!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I started to read about the galaxy99 and does export mean that it can cover all ham signals? Or what? Man I love how that Galaxy looks. And do you think the Galaxy 99 is the best? Someone said something about the FCC nailing 'em down about it or something? Anyone know what I am talking about?

8. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

the fuzz really dosen't crack down on CBers anymore, plus most cops wont know what they're looking at if they see a CB looking radio. only if you bleed all over the place would a cop be able to spot you...
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT.

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The FCC is useing the new BELLRANGER with a lot of good luck in finding bosted signals, At no 4 wheeler that can out hid a Chopper!!.

Realy guys a nocode tickit to use 2 meter ham is easy to pass and the rigs are much better than the CB junk!

Ken

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i don't understand how you can get a 1000miles out of a 100 watt cb...and how you can talk and listen on the police, and airplane frequencys

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

First its not a CB! Its a 2 meter ham, 2 meters is from 145.00 to 148.00.
    The police and fire are from 148 to 172 and air planes are from 118 to 143 all the same band only thing is the airplanes, police and fire use AM, the 144 to 148 is FM. @ meter is most often duplex, were the rest is simplex
    duplex is were you tx. on one chanel and rX on a nother.
    simplex in tx and rx on the same.
    When useing the 2 meter on duplex you tx to a cetral rx that retx it a the other chanel at a much higher power, any place from 500 to 2000 watts. it may even retx in more than one place and in some places like on the eastcost you can hit some repeters net works that cover many states.

Ken

12. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So 2 meter? The galaxy can be modded to do 10 and 11...so is there like 1 meter to 11 meter or something? I don't get it

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

the 99 aready does 11 meter it the cb band as for the 10 meter theres no fast was to get the FCC down on your back than to start useing a HAM band with out a right tickit, the HAMS will hunt you down ad then tell the FCC were to find you!

And yes there are band like you say in the 1 2 and so on some are used by deffrent thing and the higher the band the higher the number right on up to light. Microwave, UHF VHF, 2 meter is UHF and its FM which take more power but is cleaner than AM. just like yout car radio, Fm is better [​IMG]

The only draw back to HAM is you have to watch you mouth as is no bad word or sex jokes, but it is there to just talk and it in side the law, and it works much better.

Ken

14. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Someone told me that with the mod on the galaxy99 is capable of 400 channels or something...is that all the ham and cb channels? I will get a ham license before I use it...is it legal for me to use it if I have a license? Thanks for all the info!!!

15. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

there are 1000 and 1000 of chanels

Ken

16. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

17. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

that depends on the tickit you get and what rig you buy! You can lesion to any one but you can only talk on some of them. And you can still only use 5 watts on the CB. but hay so what you wont want to use the CB by then [​IMG]

Ken

18. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

on the galaxy 99 with mod will i get all the stations if i get my license?

19. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Galaxy 99's are very good radios straight out the box. If your planning on putting one in a Blazer though I wouldnt advise it. They have problems with the main board rattiling loose. I drove a truck for years and many drivers will agree. If your gonna use it as a home base it will work great.Any local Radio Shack has books and study material for attaining your ham liscense. If your more into that look into Kenwood or Yasui(i think thats how you spell it)
    They come set up for all of that. http://www.coaxkid.com is a great place for all your needs.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

20. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

I see that I'm not the only person that has one, Galaxy 99s is the top brand of the galaxys, yes they have problems, just like other radios, but for running big amps on them, yes they do work well on them, my brother has one in his 87' blazer running a sweet 16 pill box with a modified bubba/steel whip antenna, he actually blanketed all of Oahu for a couple of seconds before I could back to him with my older Super Star Grant running barefoot at the time.
    I know a couple of Ham people, they say that CB and Hams have different frequencies between them, maybe the guys could be right, if a regular CB can pick up the frequencies of the Ham radios, that would be good, but also it could be bad, for I've listen to what they talk about and they are quite serious in their talking, just be careful what you say when you do hear them on your radio.
    This is just an opinion, didn't mean to butt in on anybody.
    Oh by the way, Galaxy also had a twin, try and check out the Mirage 9900
    Laters
    Michael Wiley
    Whiskey Hotel 013

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer
    Running over those big waves that rocks us