Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Galvanized sheet metal...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 18, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, this is probaly a repost but I have my own questions... what do I have to do to get the galvanized finish off of sheet metal? Can I just grind it off with a grinder? I will be welding it so it has to be clean. It's not very big... it's just metal roofing stuff my dad had from a job. Any help is great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I dont think you should weld on it without a resperator. That stuff is DEADLY when the gasses are released during welding. I dont think you can just grind off the top layer like it is paint or rust either.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My dad bought these little mask things... like dust masks for dust... but there like for this I think. Is it the right thing?

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can grind the galvanizing off to get a decent weld but what a pain. Yes the fumes are poisonous but I'd be lying if I said I would never weld it without a respirator. Just flip your hood down and hold your breath. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Maybe I won't weld this stuff... Sounds to scary for me /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I'll second the "just flip the visor down and hold your breath" method.

I use a far placed about 20 ft away. kind of just moves the air a little, not blowing hard.

Also, turn up the gas a little if you're going to do this (or else the gas shield might not totally encompass your weld during welding)

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you do weld it use the dust mask and also set up a fan at a 90* angle to you so there is a crosswind when you weld and some of the fumes will be carried off. It may carry away some of the shielding gas but it is good to get those fumes away.

Weld little section while holding your breath. Weld a small section then leave. Let the fumes clear out and weld another section.

Try to breath in as little as possible. The fumes from welding on it once in awhile shouldn't kill you but it isn't good for you so don't do it to often.

Harley

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

if I remember right. when I was working at my dads shop I use to use some sort of acid. but that was like 5 years ago. my dad is around here somwewhere I'll ask him.

9. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Just grind it , weld it , and try not to breath in the stuff that floats around and looks like snow /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Do go to your local welding supplier and purchase a proper welding respirator in your price range
    If you value your health don't weld alot without one
    I know this because I do it for a living
    BTW you only have to grind off a narrow amount of the coating where you are welding , do some test welds and you will see how little grinding is required /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hope this helps you out

10. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

We use muriatic acid for soldering galvanized metal , that's probably what you are thinking of.

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We use muriatic acid for soldering galvanized metal , that's probably what you are thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]

there you go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif man I hated soldering. espically when I had to do real hug drain pans.