Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Galvanizing frames *ANOTHER QUESTION*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Feb 15, 2004.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

There is a galvanizing plant about 40 miles from me and they do literally everything. Their tank is like 85 feet long and can do frames easily.

Does anyone think this method is worth it to protect and prevent rust corrosion? I would have to sandblast the frame real good before taking it down there. Have not gotten a price quote from them yet, but it can't be too much.

What do you guys think? The finish is a silver color, which can be painted over with chassis black easily. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Update: 2/16/04
    What would be a good flexible coating for leaf springs? I want something strong, durable, won't peel or crack, etc. Springs flex like crazy, so any type of coating seems almost impossible to keep on without cracking or peeling. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Galvanizing frames

If you are willing to strip it down bare and sandblast it, I think a better option would be POR-15. Most likely a lot cheaper and I think would actually protect from rust better.

3. thatK30guy

I prefer to stay away from POR-15. If something were to ever happen and you want to refinish the frame later, its easier to sandblast the galvanizing rather than the POR stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If I stripped my frame that far down I'd just sandblast and spray a nice gloss frame paint on it. I may do that yet, I should do it before I go mounting a body setup to it.

5. thatK30guy

That was the original plan but after reading some info about the galvanizing plant, it seems logical to prevent rust even further by doing this method. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I may just have to try it out and let you guys know how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hey if its not too much I'd say see how it goes.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

keep in mind, if you galvanize it, you should really put a piss coat of zinc chromate over it before painting..

myself, i would just metal condition the bare frame, zinc it, epoxy prime and a good urethane paint over it..

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that would be a good idea but as pointed out the are cheaper meathods, but it sound like a great idea. When i was doing orenmental welding high end fences and railing ect, we could offer lifetime rust free on fences or gates that we glavanized, BUT nothing on the paint, as it WILL flake off. It just dosent stick to galvanizing, You will have to get inerdustrl epoxy primer on there first unless you want the siver look /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. thatK30guy

Ahhh...I hadn't realized paint won't stick to galvanized surfaces. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

My original plan was to sandblast and spray black epoxy primer on it after the metal etching primer first. But then I heard about the galv. and thought "why not?"

A silver frame wouldn't look too bad. I know it would stand out a little bit. But at least it would allow you to see stuff on and around the frame a little better than a darker color like black. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

So does that mean that you are going to pull all the rivets and do individual peices? If you wanted it completely galvanized that would be the way to go. I think it is a good idea. How about yellow chromate?

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

production cars often have galvanized parts painted, but you must self-etch with zinc. if done properly it wont peel. painted truck bumbers anyone?

any good paint process will follow that order, zinc, epoxy primer, urethane topcoat, whether it's bare steel or galvanized...

12. thatK30guy

I have been thinking of grinding all the rivets off. I know thats a lot of work as I've done 2 frames before of removing rivets. Took forever. I also agree it would be best to do it this way so every piece can be covered with the galv.

Will do some checking with the plant and see what they say as far as doing a bunch of individual pieces and a price for all, too. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

TMANOFCALI had his whole frame poweder coated. He said it wasn't even that much to have it done so when he had it appard it "would have been stupid not to". Might want to look into that as well.

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I say if its relatively cheap, why not? It would prevent rust for a long time and no one really looks too closely at frames anyways.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the shop owner that did my axles turning had his Toy frame galvanized

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A galvanized frame should last through a LOT of salted-road-winters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The biggest difference between galvanizing and POR-15, paint or powdercoating shows up later. Scratch the galvanized frame on a rock and the galvanic action of the zinc will still protect the exposed steel. Other coatings don't provide that kind of protection from rust. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hmmm what about galvanized rocker panels...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

you can paint galvanized but you must use the zinc chromate etching primer.

If left bare the galvanized will "white rust". Water will blemish the galvanized and make ugly white colored spots.

there is another form of galvanized you might see if that shop does called "Paint Lock". There are some differences in the annealing (sp) process and it doens't come out bright silver like galv. but it is alot more paint friendly.

I don't see galv. as being a bad option if the price is right and you do it right an paint it with the right stuff. I personally would look into the powdercoating process as a first choice but galv. would probably be my second.

be careful though of grinding, cutting, or welding on the frame after the galv. is done though. the zinc in the galv is bad for your health.

Harley

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a galvanizing plant about 40 miles from me and they do literally everything. Their tank is like 85 feet long and can do frames easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd start looking for a Power-coat Factory!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd second the Powercoating. Granted if scratched it don't offer the rust proctection that galvanizing does, but it takes a hell of a lot to scratch powdercoating down to the base metal. That stuff is tough. I've had to beat on a frame that we had coated that got bent in shipping. Even banging on it with a 10 pound sledge didn't hurt it. Granted, its not like dragging the whole truck over a boulder but still pretty tough stuff.