Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Galvaston is now under a mandatory evacuation order

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Sep 20, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Funny how they decided to do this before the storm hits...here.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I don't think any Government official wants to risk their job with a repeat of the Katrina Clusterfook.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

it will probably be nothing too:D

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I've seen the History Channel's documentry on the Hurricane that killed 8,000 there you bet their covering their ass.

5. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

Well my boat was parked on the trailer about 20 miles from Galveston, but it was 1/4 mile from the bay and about +8ft elevation. Needless to say I hooked onto that sucker and towed it inland today.

My Blazer is moved to a more safe location hidden from the winds and rain that is soon to come.

Galveston already has a line of buses set up and ready to evacuate all the "non-driving" residents tomorrow.

I think everyone is a little extra cautious, but that never hurt anything.

I'm going to ride it out. Y'all have fun and stay tuned to the weather channel.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I wonder what law gives the gumberment the authority to forcably remove you from your own home if you're not breaking some other law?

I think if I decided to stay that they'd need gas to get me out. If I want to prove Darwin right, they have no say in the decision.

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Best of luck to ya towrig. I'm from Victoria which is about 1 1/2 hrs south of Houston. My folks are getting set to ride it out as well, as my dad is a roofer and needs to be there to help people put their homes back together. I'm probably heading down to from San Marcos to help.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Washington's hurricane's are just spread out into 8 1/2 months of rain and crappy weather every year. I think I'll stay here.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We get a few...

We've had a few hurricanes here,but few are very destructive by the time they get this far north..only one or two I can recall that hit us hard--one was strong enuough to topple a lot of trees and we had no power for a few weeks..

We get more "Winter Hurricanes" than anything!--also known as Nor'easters--we got several last winter--we had 25 storms in all,and many were 2+ feet deep blizzards with 60+ mph winds that drifted the snow 12 feet high in places!...

I had to stay out in my truck and plow nearly constantly for 12 hours during one storm,my driveway would get drifted right over as soon as I plowed it--couldn't keep up with it for a few hours!--luckily once I piled enough snow up around the edges of the driveway,it kept the drifting down enough to not overcome my trucks ability to push it..

Once you get over 2' of snow your screwed if you have anything smaller than a Mack truck!..My K20 is at its limit at about 2',especially if it is wet heavy snow and not powder--we were luck many of the bad storms we had were also during an arctic air blast that kept it cold enough to be powdery rather than the usual wet concrete stuff we get often here...

All this talk of snow is making me sicker!--I still wish I'd moved to Arizona,where its nice and dry,HOT,and no hurricanes!..so what if wildfires burn your house down ocaisionally??--I'd build my house out of concrete or metal!.. :crazy:

10. hunterguy86

From what I'm hearing this hurricane is supposed to get up to a catagory 5. They are also talking about evacuating Victoria. However, I dont think my dad is going to leave.

11. cbbr

If he stays, make sure that he has plenty of gas/water/food/building supplies/ammo and something to read.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Here in College Station, we are makin hurricane party plans. Since our football game has been cancelled for Saturday and it'll be raining so we cant work on our trucks, its party time. Our evacuation plan is to flee to the Dixie Chicken in the event of an emergency :D It should be downgraded to a tropical storm before it hits us so we'll see how it goes.

13. hunterguy86

Hey afromann thats what we're going to do here in San Marcos.
    Yeah my parents have plenty of stuff. At the start of hurricane season my mom buys supplys just in case. you know like water and canned food and stuff. We also have plenty of propane for the grill, and firewood to make coals if that runs out. And we have a generator to run the freezer and fridge in the case of no power. My dad filled up everything today w/ gas and diesel as needed. He also filled the gas cans so we should be alright there. Since my dad does exterior remodeling we have plenty of material/tools to take care of that part of it all.
    The hard part of it all is that my parents want me to stay in San Marcos and focus on school and to keep working. It's hard for me to sit by idle and watch this **** on the news and not be down there helping out.
    I would like to ask for all CK5 members' prayers to their respective higher being for help and to watch over the people along the Texas coast.
    Sorry for the long post.

14. cbbr

You got mine. Stay safe.

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Oh crap we should probably get our keg and CO2 tank filled as a precautionary measure. I guess if the power goes out a kegerator is prety useless huh...

16. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

LATEST RECON INDICATES RITA IS A CAT 5 HURRICANE
    The latest recon report indicated the pressure in Rita has fallen to 920 mb and the maximum flight level winds were over 175 mph. AccuWeather.com Meteorologist believe Rita has become a Cat 5 hurricane

You all need to evacuate before it's too late. Take care.

17. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

BRING IT ON RITA !!!!!!

LET"S SEE WHATCHA GOT !!!! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

18. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

Im in corpus only intend on leaving its we get a direct hit by the northern eyewall. Otheriswe Ill be in the garage workign on the truck :D

19. cbbr

You gonna be the one down at the beach yelling "Don't mess with Texas" at the storm?? :D

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Yep, you'd then have to drink all of it ot it'll get spoiled. That would be a Party Foul of the worst kind.

Local friend of mine's company just flew him down to Houston for some sort of contractor review. WTF were they thinking? :doah: