Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage Cleanup and Organization goal for 2006!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RootBreaker, Jan 2, 2006.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so my garage since being in this house for 3 years is not too clean. I pulled the Jimmy in the other day and did brakes... tools were everywhere.. lighting was inadequite and just a mess....
    so for 2006 im going to clean it up...
    when facing the house... the bay to the right is the bay that I can pull a car into (or non lifted truck)
    the left side is laid out exactly how I like it...
    from garage door to wall is...
    Lincoln Electric AC/DC 240V Arc Welder
    30 Gallon Craftsman Air Compressor
    27 cubic foot Beer fridge :bigthumb
    Craftsman 3 tier black toolbox
    Craftsman 2 tier red toolbox
    Finally got a 8' workbench.. made of MDF so not real sturdy yet.. going to put metal on it..
    on the back wall im going to put a wash tub sink in.. I got the sink just need to free up the room.
    Julie has one of those crappy plastic racks in the garage... I told her I want the garage to look nice... EVERYTHING behind doors...
    so finally we bit the bullet and bought a craftsman cabinet...
    tell ya what...
    I looked at the $50 pressed board ones and after droppin some carbs, alternators, starters on them they will break...
    so I looked at Stack-On stuff..($110 per shelf) Loved the diamond plate look. however the shelves were crappy. you could push on them and they flexed...
    so next to look at Gladiator... they were nice... ($159.99 per shelf) and diamond plate. Shelves were thick too and didnt move....however
    Craftsman shelves didnt have the diamond plate look but can hold cans in the doors!!!! the shelves are the same price as the Gladiator... so we bought the cabinet on sale for $259.99 ($30 off at sears) and I couldnt be happier.... I fit 4 milk crates of spray paint, spray adhesives, cleaners and other stuff in the doors and still have room!!!!!
    It is not going to be cheap but I figure it is an investment cuz when I goto sell.. if they dont give me what I want for the house.... sorry cabinets come with me!!!!!
    I am a long way from being done.. I figure 6 cabinets @ $150 each should do it.... so will do one every now and then.....
    Julie likes it so much that she wants to get the locker style... 1/2 of it is shelf and the other half is open to hang stuff up.. she can put her gardening stuff in there and other stuff..
    she wants this
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00959274000
    here is what the one we bought is like
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00959275000
    so anyway...
    I will take a while but here is some shots of what I got setup...
    I just put MDF on for a table.. I only used that as a temporary item as we bought it to extend our xmas table to fit 22 people...
    however im thinking a piece of brushed stainless bent from the local steel yard may do a good cover on the mdf... and I can weld up more supports....
    I have my computer on the desk for the time being...
    it will go below...
    the 24" crt needs to be mounted up high for my tv tuner.. and the second one mounted up under it for browsin the web just like im doing now... also may make a mount for the pc up under it too. .I just want to get the counter cleared off
    the black crappy falling over stand will go once I clear it off and the locker style in its place...
    [​IMG]

Got me alot of cleaning to do....
    [​IMG]

better shot of the computer / workbench

[​IMG]

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The computer in the garage cracks me up for some reason.:haha:

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a spare machine sittin right here beside me, that just needs a hard drive installed. that's where it's headed.

Rootbreaker, i like the look of the place. definitely utility, yet still nice enough to hang out. i'm thinking about building a couple of stools for mine, made of some old wheels i have laying around. got a Pontiac Ralley II that i'm going to make into a grinder stand.

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rootbreaker I feel your pain, I need to rearrange ours also. I like the cabinets I am trying to go the cheap route though.

5. RootBreaker

yeah I could do the entire garage tomorrow if I did the cheap route...
    however.. cant do it...
    going to paint the walls, got track lighting the other day.. going to hook them up.... get EVERYTHING in cabinets...

Cant call it "ManVille" if it has crap everywhere... :haha: :haha:

6. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

I got a puter in my garage so I can run my OB-II software on it.

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I second that brother, all I need then is a bed and bathroom and my wife could finally have the house the way she likes it!:haha:

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh, I've got an old laptop out in the garage for tunes ... and googling for parts info ... and CK5 access :D

-- A

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It's a territorial thing. They have to piss on your tree.

Everytime I claim the garage (3 times a year) she finds some way to leave her crap in it. Usually in a blatant manner. That woman has every room in the house and still has to toss a few bits in my man space.

A few of the tricks I've used on her stuff to keep her from doing it. :D

1. Overspray works wonders.
    2. Axle lube or bearing grease.
    3. Exhaust fumes.

10. RootBreaker

I agree... when we moved in... I told her the garage and basement were mine..
    well I finished the basement (trim and drop ceiling need to be done) and now it is the kids playroom so i lost that.. I WILL BE DAYUMN IF I LOOSE THE GARAGE :haha:

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well, with resistance like that, i'd bet that you lose access to the supply of Beaver Oil. :deal:

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I reached the breaking point 3 weeks ago. Got fed-up with all the crap laying around and after the firestorm of throwing stuff in a pile I took out 3 truckloads of useless junk.