Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage Construction - update

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Dec 22, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I submitted my plans and my application for a building permit the day before Thanksgiving. The guy at the building department told me that it would take approximately 15 working days to hear back from them. As of today, I still hadn't heard anything so I decided to call and see what's up.

Unbeknownst to me, my plans were put "on hold" because they are waiting for a soils report :crazy: I guess my crystal ball forgot to let me in on that little detail, but whatever -- now I know :rolleyes:.

So, my question of the day is...

When they want a soils report, what information are they looking for and how could the results of this report affect my getting a permit?:confused:

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

A soil report gives the inspector the information of whats in your ground, water table, etc. Then they can say add more concrete or more stimson straps, etc. for load weight on the ground and winds, etc.

4. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm in for a fight on this one. The plan checker and I exchanged some words about this yesterday and I'm about ready to pay a visit to our building official about it, too. My architect and the engineer she uses are on the case and aren't willing to let it go without a fight either. They have never heard of the City requiring a soils report for a small project like mine. Not only is there nothing mentioned about no damn soils report on the building permit application, to get one will cost me $2K - $3K and that just isn't in my budget.:angry1:

Besides that, I already told that dude what's in my soil... dirt, rocks and dog sh!t :p: Can I have my permit now? :xmas:

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Check out the city building codes yourself. See if the soils report is mentioned for residential buildings. If so, has any new construction been done around you? Maybe a soils report has been done on an adjacent lot and the city will accept that. Just went through this backfilling an old basement/crawlspace, then pouring a slab over it. Also, almost all building codes have a provision for variances ( exceptions to the codes). You might want to check this out also. Good luck, building officials can be a real pain or they can be your friend, depends on the individual.

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The new building inspector is a clown.. He is here on a temp basis. He is from the valley and doesn't now squat about or area.. She will probably when this one..