Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage floor coatings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Aug 31, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, I'm getting ready to re-do the garage and will be looking for some kind of paint/coating to apply over the floor.
    What I'm looking for is something like a rubber compound to seal up the cracks, cover it, and smooth it all out so I can sqee-gee water out without worrying about water seeping thru the cracks and causing foundation settling later.
    The reason for water in the garage is for painting cars and I need to spray water on the floor to keep dust to a minimum.

I know there is driveway sealer and such, but I want something more a rubber like so it can flex with the settling of the concrete and foundation. Paint will just chip and peel later, so thats out of the question. I'm wondering if there is some type of rubber coating I can apply up to a 1/4" thick, if needed, and still be able to have a durable and strong floor covering.

Anybody know of anything? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Just herculine it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

Seriously though, you can buy lengths of rubber mat for fairly cheap. I'd just do that and pull it up once a year to clean whatever junk makes its way under them.

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

about 30 coats of clear coat. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

At least it would shiny!!!

What about (I think its) vinyl roof coating. Like what you would put on a mobile home?

Kris

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You're not too far off. Cote-L, makers of Duraback, say you can use it as floor coating in addation to being a bed liner. I don't know what brand it is, but all the men's rooms in the hangar at work have a bed liner type coating on the floors.
    Links: http://www.nonslipcoating.com/ or www.cotelind.com/

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Cote-L makes a smooth Durabak product so it's non-skid without the rough stuff in it.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

found this on a google search

EOS

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

What about one of those sub-floor tile jobbies? I've been thinking about that for mine, I think the coating maybe better for what your talking about, though it maybe worth a look. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got some samples of Durabak and it looks to be good stuff. I was going to paint my truck in it, but I changed my mind thus far because I'd rather use the cash I am saving to buy steering stuff. I think 3 gallons was gonna run me about $300 shipped. But the black is cheaper. I wanted black, white and gray, and I know the gray and white were a lot more expensive... they make tons of colors though if you want to pay for em, which is a cool option...

10. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

I'm not sure if it's Armacoating or Rhino Lining, but one of them does cement applications. You can find out by going to www.armacoating.com and www.gorhino.com /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

They do sell a garage floor paint. I saw some at Sears before. For my garage (if I ever get one) I want to do a black and white tile floor. A friend has one and it's very easy to keep up. Or I'll do one black and orange with a big Harley emblem in the middle

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is SEVERAL posts like this going on at PBB right now.

There are products available that wont's chip or flake easily. What you want is a two part epoxy. I have used some of this type of product when I use to do printing. We got the product from Sherwin Williams. This stuff was tough and it stood up to MEK in the print room. It was not coming up without taking some concrete with it. That's the bottom line is that if you hit it hard enough to chip the concrete nothing is going to work including any coating.

ANother option that was discussed was to polish the concrete and use a sealer. This stuff is thin enough that it does penetrate the concrete and it does make the surface more durrable then just plain concrete. The end result from a visual stand point is the surface now has the color of wet concrete. personnaly I want a lighter color to help with lighting.

If your planning on jacking up cars and using jack stands I don't think any sort of rubber type coating is going to be a good idea. I think it will get tore up pretty quick. It's also going to be slick when wet. The stuff we put down in the printing room we mixed in a little play sand to get some traction. the sand was snamm enough that the room still squeeged out well but it made a big difference in traction. we did two coats and the first was just raw product and it was very slippery when wet.

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

just saw a commercial for a brush on rustoleum epoxy specifically for garage floors.