Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage floor paint/sealer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm going to go put a deposit on a new house tonight, and one thing I know I want to do is seal or paint the garage floor to give it a nice glossy easy-to-clean surface. I've seen various paints and sealers, but I want to find out what you guys have had good luck with. I found a sealer at Lowe's that's pretty inexpensive, it's clear and gives the concrete a wet glossy look. I don't care about the look very much, my main thing is that it's durable and easy to clean spills off of. Any recommendations on what's worked for you guys? </font>

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

home depot sells Behr garage floor paint ( epoxy)... its durable and comes in colors... oil wipes right off it...

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I prefer the professionaly applied coatings. We have used both the home depot do it yourself stuff and the professional stuff on houses we have built and the do it yourself stuff just doesn't last... Floor jacks and jack stands cut into it and it starts to peel. The professional stuff lasts forever /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I guess you could compare it to herculiner vs. a spray on liner.

So which house did you end up with?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> How much do the professional ones cost? I'm not into paying a fortune for it...

I'm getting the house in LB, it's everything I want; I just have to learn to deal with the commute. It's a great floorplan, single story with 2500+sf, one of the biggest garages I've seen, northern exposure on the back patio, almost 1/3 acre on a cul-de-sac, and a sideyard big enough to park 4 30 foot RVs. I don't think that I'll find anything that's closer to what I want, unless it's the same thing for $100k cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>

5. willyswanter

Sweet! I don't have to drive as far to your house now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How far is it from your buddies house where I picked you up?

Anyway, I'll ask my dad tonight on the prices, he just had one done not too long ago. I want one on my garage floor since I spill stuff constantly, but I still think I may do some remodeling for more space and don't want to do it twice.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> This house is about 2 miles from my freind's, and only half a mile off of 165, the highway that you turned off of I-5 on to. </font>

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm with Jason on this one.....don't even waste your time with the DIY epoxies. No matter what you do to prep correctly, they don't seem to last and they are not as durable as a professionally applied deal.

I remember I got a quote from a place that did epoxy floors that looked like granite and other types of stone (flecks in the epoxy) for around $5/ft. That was off the deep end, and honestly, the closer you can keep it to "white" in color, the more light will be reflected up to the underside of your truck when you work. Don't underestimate the value of that.....even my lousy epoxy brightened things up dramatically.....

I'd probably guess around $3/ft for a real industrial epoxy....maybe a little less if they apply on a "virgin" floor (no real prep work for them)????

Go For iT!!!

BTW -&gt; Having a "live" CK5 internet connection with a webcam would be uber-cool. All you have to do is point the webcam to the part in question.....post up on CK5 (in "The Garage" of course) and post the link to the website that hosts the webcam images..... talk about having INSTANTANEOUS help whenever you need it!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> $3 sq foot is going to run a few grand I think, that's way out of my budget for this. The garage is probably something like 800 square feet maybe? I'll have to look in to it a bit more.

I've thought about that webcam thing before, it would be pretty dang cool. I have a webcam, just never hooked it up. I'll have to find a host for it, but it's probably doable. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

9. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I dont know what DIY epoxies you guys have used I put mine on myself when I built my house and it is 4 years old now and isnt showing any signs of wear.If you prep it correctly and apply it nice and thick it should last a long time.When I say prep it I mean;scrap off any thing that my have stuck to it during building,shrub it down a stiff bristle broom using soap and water,then rinse it off and squegee it dry.Let dry overnite then apply the epoxy. You can go to a paint supply house and buy a good quality epoxy.My garage is 700sq.ft.and it cost me under $300 dollars for materials.

10. willyswanter

Thats what most of the cost of the professionals is, the prep work. They go in and clean it then do an acid etch on the surface that actually eats the concrete and takes a layer off so it's perfectly clean concrete, gives the epoxy something to soak into.

11. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

POR15 has a 2 part epoxy coating they call Hardnose Paint for $155 a gallon. On the website they recommend it for garage floors. I've never used it and don't know anyone who has, but it might be worth looking into.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

When I use to be in the printing buisness we sealed a floor with a two part epoxy paint from Sherwin williams. That stuff stuck. Yeah it would chip but it took the concrete with it. It was impervious to inks and cleaners including MEK.

A lot of what people do wrong is in the prep. This stuff we cleaned the concrete with muratic acid and then let it throughly dry for two days with fans blowing on it.

13. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

on the other end of the spectrum, i had a NEW house in Colo Spgs back in 87, and just did Thompsons on it when 'virgin'. It lasted quite a while, and did an engine swap, tranny swap, lift kit, and a slew of other criminal activities on it.
    I'd do a semi-annual or quarterly wash down with Tide on it, and don't remember if i did any 'touch-up' to it while we were there.
    It was a 2 car with enough room for a workbench on the front end, and i did a couple/3 coats.
    Think i've still got some of that stuff left. Didn't take a full 5 gallon to do it.
    Sure made clean-up easy! Most stuff would wipe, rest i'd wash 'after' the job, plus the twice annually.
    We also had a great new-years-day-get-sober party in there for all those years, and it made a great dance floor, and we used x-mas lights (in lieu of the florescents) for mood lighting! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    ahhh, the memories!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

In a past life, I have worked for the 3 largest manuf. of commercial floor care products. Here is some inside scoop.

The prep is what makes/breaks floors. If you want to do it right:

1) Rent a slow speed floor machine (buffer) w/ a black (heavy "stripper") pad on it. If it is real dirty, throw down a 60 grit sanding screen under the black pad.

2) Call a janitorial supply distributor in the yellow pages and buy 2 gals of their heavy duty BUTYL degreaser.

3) flood garage floor w/ stripper properly mixed w/ COLD water. (important, COLD water. Hot water flashes off the butyl before it has a chance to work)

4) Let sit for 15 minutes. If it dries....throw more stripper on it.

5) Scrub floor w/ black pad. Scrub the crap out of it.

6) Wet vac all stripper...flood floor w/ water &amp; vacuum off TWICE to rinse all stripper.

This will remove all surface soil.

Next acid etch the floor w/ muriatic acid. (pour acid mixed 50/50 w/ water on floor....let sit 15 min &amp; vac off) Then double rinse w/ water again.

By prepping the floor this way, it will readily accept coating.

You can go w/ the epoxys from the big box stores if you want to add color. They are pretty tough, but not indestructable.

For my money, I would go back to the jan. supply house and buy a 5 gal pail of oil based wood gym floor finish. (must be the old fashioned, stinky &amp; full of solvent kind). Pour a good puddle about 14" in diameter of it down in one corner (away from the door) spread this finish all over the now stripped &amp; porous concrete floor. (Don't roll it on w/ a paint roller, but spread it on w/ a normal paint roller that has been "modified" NOT to roll w/ a well placed weld or super glue w/ a broom handle screwed into the end)

The idea is to add no additional air into the finish, but to coat the area &amp; let it soak in. Angle the "roller" so that you leave a puddle of the finish at the bottom of each pass and walk from one end of the garage to the other, reverse the angle and go back &amp; forth until all is covered.

PUT IT ON THIN OR IT WILL TAKE TOO LONG TO DRY Do not put more than 1 coat on. It will take at least 1 day to dry (dep. on humidity). Wait another 2 days before you put things back in the garage, and 1 week before you park a vehicle on it. (If you do not wait long enough, your table saw will be super-glued to the floor when the finish Hard Cures to you saw.)

This will not give you a glossy surface, but will fill in the pores of the conctete for easy cleanup and will last a long time without being slippery.

If you have trouble finding distributors of gym finish....PM me. I can give you some 800 #s to call for dealers in your area.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif