Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage floor plan help needed!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Mar 20, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here's what I've got so far............
    [​IMG]

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Great start, I'd put the compressor outside or in a corner.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

overall dimensions of the building? and what kind of shop equipment to you plan on using/purchasing?

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

25X40 ft 13 ft peak

Oh yeah, I've got;

Welders, arc and mig
    Air compressor
    Welding table 4x8X 1/2 inch steel......will be on locking wheels soon
    4 sets of 2X6X6 ft shelving
    large office style desk
    6 ft tall Sears toolbox
    3X6X1/4 inch steel top work table
    cherry picker
    engine stand
    2X3X6 cabinet

5. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

My shop is small so I put everything on wheels. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. Now I can wheel my tools outside to a project or tuck everything in a corner and jam two or three vehicles inside to get them out of the weather. Believe me, it may be big now but put a couple of K5s in there and space is an issue. Concrete floors are the best. Find a place to hang your creeper and also a couple of FIRE EXTINGUISHERS with all that welding equipment. Have fun.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Build ANOTHER garage for all the stuff!!...

It would be best to build another building,just for the tools and other junk!..but its possible to keep everything under one roof,it just takes a lot of space away...my garage is considered "huge" by many who see it..but inside,its not very spacious anymore,thanks to the "too much is not enough" syndrome...

I can tell you what NOT to do!..having much the same size quonset as yours,I'd NOT line both sides with benches,pallet racks for shelves,and a drill press,furnace,set of drawers,and piles of metal scrap,1000's of cheby parts,and tools,firewood,stoves,table saws,etc!...my garage is 20x40 with 13' height,but I am only able to fit ONE vehicle in it,thanks to all the other stuff!..:doah: I am too much of a pak-rat I guess...

I'd like to build a platform,or "upstairs" in my garage using the 2 pallet racks and the "roof" of a small "office" in one corner I built as the "legs" to hold it up..(the "BTU" room,4x10 with 8' ceiling and a big wood stove--was going to put a compressor in there,but I decided I needed a hideaway more)..

I would put the compressor "upstairs" if it had to be inside at all..outside is better,much quieter....but if I had a platform 8' off the floor about 16' long,I could hoist my engine crane,engine stands,floor jack,and store much of the other stuff cluttering up the floor and gain a lot of floor space..you would not be able to stand up on it without bashing your skull on the roof though..bummer!..

I'm considering scrapping the furnace..its an old forced hot air clunker old as I am,I had to weld patches on the firebox so I wont be suffocated if I used it..but its too costly for fuel,it needs a control unit,and I prefer the wood stoves,they get it warmer than the furnace,and wood is free and good excersize to gather and cut!..I'd gain 5' x 3' if it were gone,and I might even get a few bucks in scrap for it..

I agree 100% about putting EVERYTHING on wheels!..my table saw,firewood carts,torches,welder,air compressor,and pretty much everything else has wheels on them!..its nice to ROLL 300 lbs of firewood outside with one hand if its in your way!..I use a utility trailer sometimes, if I have a lot of wood,and just wheel it outside if I need the room back..:crazy:

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Shelves are the answers but only along one wall and build them all the way to the roof make them easy to add on to so you can take one and put one or two more in between. Everything on wheels is a good idea I would put the air compressor on a shelf up high too and plumb the shop for air. Retractable rolls for electrical cords and air hoses hanging from the ceiling. You can build shelves all the way around but only if they are high enough to stay out of your way. Getting crap up off the floor is the key I think good luck. Also if that is the size of floor space you want then I would try to add the space for the shelving like 4 ft on either side. I don't know if that is possible but that is what I wish I could have done