Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage floor treatments?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What's the slick setup for a garage floor/shop? I've seen the paint like coatings, but I've heard even the best of them can't really tolerate dropped tools or heavy jacks with steel wheels. There also seem to be clear sealants that might be good, but I don't know much about them. They have something like that where I work and forklifts drive on it.

Today at Sears I also saw some sort of rubbery plastic tiles advertised for use in garages. Anyone know about those? Anything else?

Looking for ideas for my new 4-stall (2 stalls dedicated K5 shop). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Check the internet/yellowpages for any companies in your area that apply epoxy floor coatings. Epoxy is the only way to go. You can buy "garage floor paint" at a hardware store, but it's no where near as durable as the epoxy stuff.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I havent seen those tiles,but as far as concrete goes,I prefer leaving it bare--in vocational school and at commercial garages I worked at,or delivered parts too,they had the floor painted with that epoxy stuff,like they are pushing on TV lately by Rustoleum--I find that battleship gray coating gets extremely slippery when anti-freeze and oil,or even plain water get spilled on it--it needs some kind of sand or traction "grit" to make it safer in my opinion.I lost count of how many times I landed on my A$$ at my friends shop,usually when your pushing a car in,or trying to hold a tranny in place while your friend gets a bolt started,we always had a 50 lb bag of speedi-dry all over the place to prevent slip and fall accidents,--I think its ok to put sealer on the concrete to prevent oil stains from seeping in and never coming out,but they do make it slippery.My floor treatment consists of a broom,sawdust(better than speedi-dri on oil spills,because I can burn it in the woodstve!)and an occasional wash with castrol super clean and a garden hose.I'd like it too look like a labratory,but its a garage--and garages that get used are supposed to be kinda dirty,or your not fixing much in it! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Check the internet/yellowpages for any companies in your area that apply epoxy floor coatings. Epoxy is the only way to go. You can buy "garage floor paint" at a hardware store, but it's no where near as durable as the epoxy stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I know a guy who has a beautiful airplane hangar with the serious two part epoxy coating that cost him $2500 just in materials. He really likes it, but he has to baby the floor. He carries his floor jack from place to place and sets stuff down on cardboard to prevent chips. He told me that he'll get chips if a wrench is dropped or something.

I'm not anal enough to deal with that.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Have rhino linings come in and shoot it in white!

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

We have the epoxy in the shop at work. Its VERY easy to keep clean, we also had them put in some sand for extra traction when wet and oily and it helps a lot, but it seems to be losing the traction it had when new. The shop was coated 3 years ago and still looks brand new. It was very expensive though, $50k for 26,000 sq. feet.

7. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    We have the epoxy in the shop at work. Its VERY easy to keep clean, we also had them put in some sand for extra traction when wet and oily and it helps a lot, but it seems to be losing the traction it had when new. The shop was coated 3 years ago and still looks brand new. It was very expensive though, $50k for 26,000 sq. feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it can stand having tools dropped on it and stuff like that?

26,000 sq feet is huge. My garage will be under 1000 sq feet, so I'd be under $2000 if the pricing is similar here. Not that that isn't serious money, but if it was really good stuff, I'd consider it.

Anyone heard of using POR-15? I just remembered that they advertise it for that purpose someplace on their site. You'd use the white. I have a few drops of it on my garage floor and they sure don't seem to be going anywhere....

8. Mastiff

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Problem with race deck is that any fluids that you spill seep into the concrete below-

And I can only imagine how permanatly stinky your garage would be if you spilled some HD gear oil and fuel oils /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

we used the rustolium on my bosses shop and his motercycle garage, and i welded and fabbed up all the parts for his barn doors(galv. pipe) on the shop floor and it barely left any marks at all. pretty cool stuff IMHO

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I also saw this stuff

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/index.htm

said its the same stuff used to paint the F22.
    "TS 1 Part Epoxy floor coating is waterproof, impact resistant to 495 PSI, heat resistant to 1000 degrees, self leveling, color fast, non-chalking, will not crack, chip or peel and it covers more than three time the area of typical paint and guaranteed for 10 full years. Typically used as a superior alternative for typical garage floor coating, concrete floor coating, concrete floor paint, garage floor paint, epoxy floor coating."

A gallon is about 80 bucks, and they say covers 775 sq feet.

I only have 575 sq feet to cover.