Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

garage floor ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by riz, May 9, 2002.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue>How do I clean the floor of my garage and what can I put on it to help keep it clean ? I'd like to get rid of all the oil stains and such that has gotten on there over the years.

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I know some of those handcleaners work. You can also use laundry detergent.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

After leaving oil on a garage floor long enough, it stains deep. Diesel is a great solvent for surface stains and getting up fresh oil (really efficient at it) but after that I keep resorting to my sand blaster. It doesnt pit it and restores the good look.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to clean my shop floor first with solvent and then with some acid. Then I am going to paint it with an epoxy paint designed for concrete floors. You can buy the paint at most hardware stores.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Start with some Oil-Dri. Use a brick to grind it into powder, directly on the oil stains. Let it sit overnight. Then brush it off with a stiff bristle broom. That will take off an amazing amount of the stain without any chemicals. If you still want to get more of it off, there are some heavy duty driveway degreasers available at many hardware stores.

The epoxy concrete paint can make cleanup much easier in the future, but it will cost $200 and up to do a 2-car garage.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

And after you seal the floor, be careful. Any spill will be real slippery even plain water.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v always used gasoline, Tide, and water. Scrub it all around with a good stiff broom It works great. Then seal or paint it.

8. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Mauric Acid sp? will work on spots. Wouldn't suggest whole floor due to fumes and wipe-up.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Every couple months, I use revive-a-drive on the street where I park. It does a better job the longer I let it soak, which isn't usually too long.

10. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

My garage floor is epoxy painted, and a cool trick i use since my hot water heater is located in the garage, Use the drain spigot on it for a supply of hot water, and I use TIDE laundry det. to clean also.

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well riz we use some heavy duty stuff from Zep on our shop floors. It works great. If you want some I could probably pass a couple cups your way. The old deep in stuff will need more then even that stuff can do. I would look into Muricacid. That teamed with a pressure washer seems to work the best

12. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I know there are a lot of people that could care less, which shouldnt be the case. Remember all that stuff you "clean" your floor with, probably some bad chemicals, ends up getting washed down the drive way and into the ground water evantually /forums/images/icons/frown.gif That said, n the upside, doing like Harry said (i think) taking floor dry and grinding it in with a board or something does suprisingly well, especially if you dont let the stains sit too long. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

riz, you might want to look at the site www.doityourself.com/brick/concrete for some ideas. Remember to be really cautious if you use muratic acid...eye protection and rubber boots/gloves. Also, if it washes out across your cement driveway it may erode the top finish. Good luck.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thank you.
    as i read some of these suggestions that was running through my mind.
    diesel fuel is thin oil so I cant see that helping too much, also the huge stain where I fuel my truck points against that plan.
    gasoline is a very poor replacement for a solvent at the best of times and contains a bunch of stuff that shouldnt be released into the air, kinda why your gas cap is now sealed.