Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

garage hoist

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Seventy4Blazer, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

who has one?

im talking about a ceiling mounted version with chain or winch type hoist. the movable type. one axis or two.

i want one in my shop some day, but first need a shop....
    Grant

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

A single-axis overhead hoist wouldn't be too hard. A 2-axis would be interesting... something like this, but smaller, would be cool:
    [​IMG]

I was actually considering it for a bit, but then said F-it and got a plain old engine hoist (cherrypicker).

3. Seventy4Blazer

think of the rails that we use in the corps for engine stands and what not. i have 4 of the rollers that go on the stands and was thinking of getting some I beam and bolting it to the ground. them make an A frame with an I beam at the top. find a set of rollers rated to a couple K in weight and a hoist.

bolt the I beam at the top perpendicular to the floor beams. then i have a 2 axis with vertical (3 axis i guess you could say)

should work out well, but the rails on the bottom could tend to get in the way a bit. the weight rating of the rollers would not permit spanning more than a 2 car garage though. otherwise they would bind way too much.

Grant

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Look at the "trolley" at the bottom of this page. It goes around the bottom flange of an I-beam.

In the middle of the page is a pre-fab verion of what I think you're describing. Kinda spendy, though; shipping would be big $$$ too.

I've never been in the hangars at Pendleton - do you guys have electric overhead hoists there?

5. Seventy4Blazer

yes, we have the overheads, and that would be my ultimate goal. the barn we are in now has two hoists on sererate sets of tracks. makes it a pain some times when parts have to be moved from one side to the other.

they are 3 axis hoists as well, but neither one can make it to the others area. no overlap. that is the largest drawback of the system we have. should have been one set of main tracks and two trolleys on it.

the one you linked to is like what i am thinking, but remove the wheels and replace them with some rail mounts. then that is your front back, the top I beam is your side to side and the hoist is your up down.

you are right, shipping would kill the deal. I beam is spendy due to weight, but i think i could save cash by building it vice buying it. especialy since i have some of the key parts.