Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage/House poll

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big_truxx, Jan 14, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Just curious what everyone would preffer if they could build whatever they wanted.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With all the noisy stuff I'd be doing it'd be best to keep the house and shop separate... :)

Rene

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep, something seperate. Maybe with a hallway attaching to the house.

John

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

the house my family is looking at to possibly buy has a detached double garage, so I think that would decrease noise from the shop, coming into the house.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I think in a way detatched is far superior due to noise. But then a house built above also has benefits. In my spare time (when I'm not living on CK5 that is) I work on house designs. Kinda a fun mini hobby and also I will be building later on this year. I have several designs laid out so far. One is a 4 car garage with a wood shed off both ends and a decent 2 bedroom house built above. Also had an idea that in expansion it could have an indoor shop/mini basketball court out back and maybe a small indoor pool off to one side of that and a game room off to the other side. This is attatched to the back of the garage and house. and in the shop a balcony off the house with a hot tub. I really need to get working on a web site and post pics and plans etc. Pics & all describe much better thans words. Of course I most likely will end up starting off with a small piece of something like a 16x32 garage and live in that till I get the rest of it all built around, added onto, or whatever. I plan on being able to easily add on as needed.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lottery winning someday would get me a farmhouse way south of Mesa with a garage with several bays and a lift and floor drain . Also a room in the garage with TV and beer ( and a stripper pole shhhh.... ) :D

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] I like this style of house.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yup good ole stripper pole... every garage needs one of them :waytogo:

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

split level, I like the idea of the split level or basement garage for general bs and parking, just cause it's kinda cool to walk downstairs and there is your stuff. but the noise and fumes associated with shop work I'd rather have it seperate.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Seperate garage means less bitching by Mrs. GJK5 about noise, smells, and whatever else she may find offensive (which incudes my K5's!). Ideally connected by hallway or breezeway.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like detached car holes.
    Cuz:
    1.Cheaper home owner insurance rates.(see reason number 2)
    2.Less fire hazzard. (If you screw up and start a nice little fire at least you wont burn down your house too.)
    I can crank the stereo, bang, hammer, weld and grind all night long and not bother anyone in the house.
    I have owned both Detached and attached.
    For my needs Detached is better.
    I also have a detached shop.
    LOL Mine's bought not built:haha:

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd like a seperate shop but definately like the garage attached to the house.

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:surepal: And to think this site was more about building and not buying. :haha: :waytogo: j/k :grin: I would love to have a detatched garage for the above listed reasons. I would just make a heated breezeway to run furnace ducting and stuff through the roof space of to the house. And who needs swimming pools, game rooms and basket ball mini court when ya should be tinkerin' on a chevy anyway right? :haha:

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd prefer detached garage for all the above reasons, but I think I'd want to tie it to the home heating system. Nothing like *not* freezing your butt off when you want to hang out in the garage for a little while...

I would also want a house with a basement. I dunno why, but the tiny cold-war remnant-voice in my head tells me the basement is a better bomb shelter if it's encased in dirt.

Come to think of it...if I could build a house, I think I'd want to make an underground concrete shop beneath or behind the detached garage... I think that would be mostly so I can set up an indoor shooting range and go shooting anytime I want without worrying about the nieghbors, the police, or stray bullets hitting neighbors or pets...

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Mom would have killed dad and I by now if the garage was attached to the house. What with the midnight cam break ins and exhaust fabbing.

Whenever I buy some land garage is the first thing to be built.

16. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Best of both worlds. Wife gets the attached garage for her car and her crap, I get a shop for my Blazer and my tools. Perfect.

17. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

Yep! that's what we have... an attched garage where we park and I have a shop to change the oil, play darts, watch TV, work on the boat, etc..........

18. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with most(detached) noise,fire ect.....:D A floor drain,aaaahhhhh.:thinking: :whistle:

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I would have to say the detatched has won!!! :haha: I have decided to go with the detatched with a breezeway and wood stove/whatever in each for heat. Still workin on learning about the heat setup stuff.

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have an old wood stove with a blower in mine. It works great. Keeps my shop toasty even in below 0 weather.