Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage Improvment Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kim tate, Jan 9, 2005.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

My shop is about 200 feet from the house. I've got electric power but need water. I've thought about building a platform to raise two 55 gallon plastic drums about six feet in the air. Gravity would feed water to large wash sink that I could install with a french drain. Shop also has a 5hp, 60 gal, 220v air comp. Would it be feasible to plumb the compressor in some fashion to pressurize these tanks for water flow? That would allow the drums to remain on the ground and refilling them would be less a chore.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think the gravity flow idea is much simpler and really what ever you are going to put them on you might as well include a ladder on it to run up there with a garden hose for refilling.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    200ft isn't that far. Is it impossible to run an under ground line?
    Plastic lines are cheap and I don't think you would have much of a freezing problem where your at.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We use the gravity feed method at fishing/hunting camps too remote for water hookup (near Grand Pass - west of NOLA). Rainwater drains off of the roof through a gutter and into a tank that is on a raised platform. Throw some chlorine in from time to time and drain/clean if necessary. Of course we bring bottled water to drink, but it is great to wash stuff, shower, run the toilet, etc. Most camps have a water pump hooked to the tank for pressure.

5. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

You're right, no freezing problem here, but I've been blessed with many large oaks between a water supply and the shop. Plus I added an asphalt drive before I built the shop the separates water from shop. The 200 feet is a straight line measure, with the obstacles it's doubled. I recently buried an invisible fence to keep the K-9's on the property (all 4 acres) and dealing with the tree roots on that project, found just under the surface, rules out extending a water line. Maybe with a little rest I'll be up to tackle it. Appreciate everyone's advice.

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

is there some way you could hook up an RV type water pump, then you could leave the barrell on the ground, i havent looked at prices on them in quite awhile but they used to be fairly reasonable

7. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Great idea!

I know I have an RV pump somewhere. Salvaged one about 10 years ago. On my way to the shop to find it and test it!