Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage Lighting....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Mar 20, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I need to get some lights in the garage. Basically its about 35Lx25W. Curious as to what you guys would recommend so there is sufficient lighting in there.

Anyone have somthing similar? Should I just run two strips going from front to back...or a few rows going from side to side...or?

I bought a few 8ft. fluorescent lights and they buzz and flicker like crazy. Guess I should have went with the more expensive model:grin: I'll be returning them obviously.

What is brighter and draws less power....(2) 4ft lights or (1) 8ft. light.

I dont want to spend a fortune, kind of on a budget, but I do want to be able to see wtf I am doing in there.

I also noticed they have different ballasts...magnetic and electric....some for 60w bulbs all the way to 110w bulbs.

Also what kind of bulbs...most I have seen are 'cool white'

I hooked one 8ft (2-60wbulbus)set up and the one 4ft (2-40w bulbs) seemed brighter?!?! WTF!?!?

I am gonna paint the walls also...I would think that would help make it brighter in there also...they are just regular cinder (sp?) block walls

Any suggestions?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

They are not cheep, but fewer will do the job; I'd take a hard look at some of the halogens and what-not. I'll guess two of them will be enough for general lighting. Then put a fluoresent over whatever work stations need more light.

I've learned that you can't have too much lighting. My 14x19 has four 2 tube fuoresents on the ceiling plus another over both the lathe and the fab bench, with a 7th about to go up over the mill.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Paint the walls white, or at least a bright off-white, to help reflect the light off the walls and back into the workspace. Painting the floor with a light-colored garage floor paint will help, too.
    It's been my experience that a single 8' fluorescent fixture does not equal the perceived light output of a double 4' fixture. A double 8' (if you can find them) is a good choice for long areas. If you have a workbench, center the fixture(s) over the bench for maximum lighting on the work surface. If the end opposite the door(s) is where a lot of work gets done (where the front of your truck would be if you pulled it into the garage), put a couple fixtures across that end; orient them so that an opened hood won't block the light.

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

The electronic ballasts with T8 lamps will start in colder weather (usually down to around 0*), without flickering, the ballast will be quieter, and they will use less power than magnetic ballasts with T12 lamps.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about just make sure the existing light fixtures are secured good. :grin:

Something you never think about.. I came out to the garage one day to find a light fixture fell on my car, i guess the previous house owner or electrician just screwed it into the sheetrock.. Thank god the car cover was on it or it would have been ****ed!

6. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I have three 8footer's that have four 4ft bulbs each and there are big polished sheilds that reflect the light off that go on before the bulbs. These things are great they put out some major light. A friend of mine is a electrician and they were remodeling a toys r us and I got them for free and he hooked me up with new ballast cause they were all 220volt

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I plan on painting the walls white, the brighter white the better? Everything is dark in there now...cinder block walls, exposed cieling (rafters) and concrete floor.
    So what you are saying is what I seemed to have found out...a 4ft light seemed to put out more light than an 8ft...I would have thought it would be opposite...guess not.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I'd be PISSED if something fell on my Elco. With my luck...something like that would happen the ONE night left the cover off or something:grin: :crazy:

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

When I was at home depot, the guy said that those put out the most light...the 8 footers that have four 4ft bulbs. They use the skinnkier bulbs right?

Hmmm...wonder if that would be worth it. Dont remember how much they were. I'll have to check into it.

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Also....what about the 'shields' that come on some of the lights, do those help or hurt? The ones that force the light down.

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

The halogens...arent those the BIG round lights? That would kick arse...but I have a feeling they are $$$$$$$$$.. I'll take a look.

12. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

The sheilds I have are the silver polished one's and they made a big diffrence when I tried them without them on. I have regular 4ft bulbs on mine I think the skinner one are more expensive anyways.