Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage Mat Info Needed ....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nitrodrip350, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Well I'm finally move in to my new house and even more important my GARAGE!!! But I don't want to get oil from the Blazer on the floor when we trade the motors out (also just because Chevys like to mark their territory too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) So just wanted to know what some good garage mats for oil, mud, and water?? Website info if possible would be great too!!

Thanks Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Kitty litter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's not like your gonna eat off it so it's ok to let your Chevy mark its territoy /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Nitrodrip350

LOL!!! Yea but I'm going to be rolling around in it!!!!

I've done my share of crawling under cars in the junkyard, and rolling in the mud to get parts, now I want a warm garage, nice lighting, and not wanting to have to wring a quart of oil out of my shirt everytime I have to get under her!!!

Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My next door neighbors have some heavy rubber/vinyl mats that they park on. The edges have pockets that some rubber hose slips into, making the edges tall enough so that any water that drips off the vehicle stays on the mat instead of running off across the garage floor. I think they got them from Beverly Hills Auto Accessories for around $80 each. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I hear ya!!
    I get to move too, in 35days escrow should close
    I am upgrading to a 3car garage and I paln on using my new creeper allot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Nitrodrip350

Yea thanks ... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I saw both of those sites but just want to hear from people that have actually used them. Every site will say how "great" they are I want real people's opinion.

Shane - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Nitrodrip350

Nice! Yea we had a house being built with a 3 car garage and walk out basement and the screwed up the back yard /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They said it was a 3 to 1 slope but it was a lot worse. So we canned that house and purchased a townhome with a two car. I still cry myself to sleep each night thinking about the garage I almost had!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I hear ya!
    I can't call the house mine just yet /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but the light is still green and hasen't turned yellow at all so...so far so good.

As for putting something down on the floor, you may be better off just using one of thoes 3'x5' drip pans to keep the spoting from messing up the floor. That way you can easily move it out from under yer rig when it comes time to slide under there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    .02c
    Have fun and good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. Nitrodrip350

I'm thinking about doing that .... probably the easiest and cheapest. I'll just put the money I save towards my Dana 60!! The price of these things are crazy!!! Was hoping someone would say they had good sucsess with a cheaper model. Oh well ....

12. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I use a rubber mat that went into the bed of a pick-up. Farm & Fleet type stores probably carry them, and they are fairly cheap. JC Whitney expensive version

13. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

14. Nitrodrip350

That's a good idea ... never thought of that.

Wonder if they will throw in a free moose antenna topper?! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

jpg [​IMG]

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Get some high quality oil absorbant. I just helped out with the Thunder Nationals monster truck show here a couple weeks ago and we used some stuff that was amazing. I'm kicking myself for not remembering the name of it, but it soaked up every little bit of oil or water that was on the floor in about 30 seconds. 4 trucks blew out trannies and one lost an engine, but there wasn't a single spot of oil left after we cleaned it up with that stuff. I'll ask my friends that helped too and see if they remember the name of it, I want some for my own garage! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sherwin williams Epoxy industrial floor paint. Seal the concrete and then you can clean it like a tile floor. Get oil down soak it up with kitty then come back with a mop and some degreaser.
    Do it before you get all your junk moved in. Takes a few days to set up. Not Cheap. Stuff is like $30 a gallon and for a 20x20 area you will pobably need about 3 gallons. Side bennifit is with a light color like gray or tan it reflects light and brightens things up a LOT. It also cuts down dust from the concrete.
    You also need to "Etch" the floor to make it stick correctly. Talk to the folks there on the prep and they will set you up.
    My bud did the floor in his shop with this tan color and you almost don't need a drop light when working under the truck (on his two post lift /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
    I use to do printing and we used that stuff to seal the floors. It was just about imperious to the inks and chemicals we used. Yeah it would get stained but it stayed down.
    You could also go to the Two Guy's Garage web site. they did a review on a simular product. Should have a link to it.

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Go get a fridge box and flatten it out. you can still use your creeper and it will soak up a bunch of the oil. Plus the price is right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That's my cheap solution for the day. Trust me, since you're buying a house, you'll need all the cheap solutions you can get /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. Nitrodrip350

This may be a stupid question but what's a fridge box???

Yea the cheaper the better ... good thing I have all my tools paid for !!!

19. Nitrodrip350

This may be a stupid question but what's a fridge box???

Yea the cheaper the better ... good thing I have all my tools paid for !!!

20. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if you dont use grims idea a box of tide powder detergent will turn stained concrete white as the day they poored it. just gotta have soap a little water and a scrub brush.
    kills the grass though

nathan