Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage Organization

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trukman1, Jun 30, 2004.

1. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

I am preparing to move and will be building a new garage approx. 24'x32'and would appreciate ideas or pics of some garages with well thought out plans for having the right stuff in the right spot. I currently have an upright 60-gal. compressor, torch set, arc welder, 175-amp (220V) mig welder, drill press, grinder, cut-off saw, engine stand, folding hoist and a large Snap-On toolbox. Any ideas for the ultimate layout would be appreciated. Funds and space prevent my dream of having a larger pole building...along with zoning restrictions. Any ideas or pics are appreciated. Thanks for your input. BTW, will be adding a band saw (Sears 12-inch, 1-hp) as soon as it is built. And no, getting rid of my stuff is not an option. Thanks.

2. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

I think garage organization is all indavidual in my opinion the best thing to do is just but all your stuff in there and start moving it around and see what you like best I have so much stuff in mine it is hard to keep organized with all my truck parts and table saw and work tools plus the compressor and all my tool boxes but just do your own thing every garage is unique /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck organizing your garage--I built mine 12 years ago,only the past three years have I parked one truck in it,and its a 20x40 quonset hut.I thought it was plenty big,but after I put the table saw,drill press,benches,engine cranes,stands,shelves,lawn tractor,push mower,wheelbarrow,etc in there,I was soon buying a truck body and adding 2 sheds in the backyard to hold the spare tires,rims,engines,and other nessasary junk this hobby requires!.My advice--build it as big as you can,if they wont let you build it big,see if you can build it higher--I wish now I hadnt special ordered my building and had left it at 18 feet high,I didnt want it taller than the house,but after the fact I see now it would have been ok,not much difference at 13 feet,except that it screws me out of making an upstairs(second floor),I could have put the compressor and all the woodworking stuff up there and had room enough for a lounge too! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.I practically live out there most of the time,my mother is sick with emphasema and I dont know how much longer I'll be able to be here,so I'm usuing it as much as I can,before its too late. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i use the oldmans shop and between me and him and my too other brothers the thing looks loke a tornado hit it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    i've spent many days trying to organize and put stuff away but it never lasts i think it'll always be a mess /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif can't wait to build my own /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Make drawings. I'm in a similiar situation, except that my garage is attached to the house. Last Saturday I started moving stuff around and shortly into I thought I need to remove it all and do it right. I'm going to map it out on paper.

One suggestion is to plumb pvc line on your ceiling for a drop down air line in the garage. You can put a commercial grade coating of paint on the concrete floor that will resist chemicals and look good. 220V wiring obviously, in several locations.

Oh, most importantly, be sure to install a urinal in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. diesel4me

I'll second the urinal, I have to use the woods,been thinking about an outhouse,not sure if its legal here anymore!--a complete bathroom with shower would be ideal--it will help prevent a lot of hard feelings when you dont drag all the grease and grime in your house after the wife spent all day cleaning..If I were rich I'd have running water so I could at least wash off the worst of the grime before going in the house.For now I use the garden hose in the warmer months. And maybe have an old washer and dryer out there just for dirty shop clothes and rags--and dont forget the old refridgerator well stocked with cold beer! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif :histerical
    I have found that shelves help free up a lot of floor space,especially if you build them out from the wall studs and dont have legs on them all the way down to the floor.Benches in my shop tend to be junk collectors--I never seem to have an empty one available when I need it.
    This wouldnt be a problem if I weren't such a pack rat! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

When you build it, find out the codes in your area and do everything you can to maximize the space that they will allow. I used 9' sidewalls on 6" of raised foundation, giving me 9'6" walls. I also used scissor trusses to maximize headroom, and to allow for the radiant heater. Definitely get 8' high garage doors.

8. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

I watch Paul SR on Orange County Choppers trying to get thiers clean and organized. Aitn't happened yet. Yellin, fussin, threatening, ect all to no avail.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Organization???????????? There ain't hardly room to walk in our garage. Course there is always a clear path to the beer fridge. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Organization?
    I am in the same position that you are in. I am taking bids now for a new shop that I want built. It will be 24' x 40', or 30' x 50' or some combination around that. What I plan on doing is, after its built. Just start putting the stuff in it and move it around until I like it. Drawing layouts, just don't work for me. I have to see what it looks like in there, then I can see where stuff will need to be located. Good Luck with your garage.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

When I build my garage The torch will be positioned in a corner next to the welder with a boom type setup with XR torch on the welder and long hoses on the torch. The rest of the stuff it kinda depends on how much you use it. Drill press should be pretty accessible. Maybe put it between some benches so you can get long materials in.

12. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Well Guys, I guess I'm not alone in the quest for a better organization plan. I do like the ideas about the taller walls, painted floor, running water and 8' doors! See, I already got a lot of ideas...Thanks for the input from everyone! One question, what are "scissor trusses?" Keep the ideas coming and I'll bet we'll soon see someones garage photos that'll blow us away. I know their out there. Thanks again!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know that one day I'm going to get organized. I've managed to lose some very large items around my garage in recent years.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a grille perhaps? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not just the grille, managed to lose backing plates and two sets of 8 lug hub/rotor assemblies a couple years ago, along with countless other parts.

16. diesel4me

I know that feeling well--I've actually gone to the boneyard to buy things I KNOW I have in my garage--SOMEWHERE!--because its faster and easier than wasting a few hours tearing the shop apart looking for those things.I'm starting to learn that unless you know exactly where something is,and if you still really do have it,your better off not having it if you cant find it !I need to start writing things down,and keep better track of things. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifI've scrapped a lot of stuff I wanted to keep this year,a lot of it has been waiting too long to get used and has gone to hell--I bought a 7-1/2 horse 3 phase compressor with an 80 gallon tank 3 years ago for the shop,but no 3 phase available,and I have 2 110v compressors,so thats going on the auction block soon too.The bigger the garage--the more crap you will drag home to fix in it if your like me!- /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif