Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage sale CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Cricket, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Found an old realistic 40 channel TRC-453 to use for the trail get togethers.

Paid 4.00 and got the CB, mike, power cord, bracket, and magnetic antenna. The power cord connector was loose but I did get the unit to power up. I could hear people talking with the squelch way up, I doubt the reception range is very large with the 24" antenna but I'm hoping it will work out good for off-roading.

I know squat about CB's but this one does have LSB and USB, squelch, RF gain, and clarifier. I figure for the money it's good enough.

Paul, you have any opinions on this thing? Anyone else?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As long as it transmits and recieves, that's all that matters for a trail radio. I'd probley get a better antenna, but heck, for a ultra low buck set up, sounds like you got one heck of a deal.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Where can I get it tested or test it? The Interstate has the most semi traffic.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you can hear anyone, key up and ask for a "Radio check".

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats a great little SSB radio . I have 2 , one for each truck .

The bracket fits existing holes in the dash under factory stereo . I love these .

Mine were modded by my father , more output , and more channels ( bragging right , I don't use them ) .

The squelch control pulls out for anl/nb on stock , but mine pulls out to turn on the other channels .

I also have the optional power mike for the one in the nice truck :D

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Paul, what size CB antenna are you using??????????????????????

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

$4 bucks??? awsome deal!! wouldnt pass that one up. good radio and easy to mod. will be great for what u want/need now and for a few bucks, good later on down the road if u want more power.

good score!

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, in my honest opinion, nothing out preforms the 102" Stainless Still whip, but they are big, and can whip around and hurt spotters. Something like a magnet mount K40, or a Wilson 1000 or Wilson 5000 work very well. For a trail rig radio, magnet mounts work real good, and you can take it off when not needed.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Two Pauls , funny .

Anyway I have a NMO mount on the truck that was pre existing , I just went to now defunct Tech America and got a cheap antenna , 5 feet tall and a NMO to 3/8 adapter .

I did use my father in laws MFJ digital meter , and adjusted the antenna for the best SWR in the middle of the band . :D

I am gonna get a firestick and a GM mirror or maybe hood adapter and move the antenna to the door or hood . So I can free up the NMO mount for a 2 meter antenna .

And move the current antenna to the trailtruck I think .

Or I could keep it , it looks cool and redneck sticking up dead center in the roof :wink1:

Oh , and I have a shadrach external speaker , small , fits between floor and defrost vent , loud too with windows down and top off I can still hear :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, when it comes to electronics I still carry a club and drag my knuckles.