Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Mar 25, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got it up today.................whew, that's a job!

Top of the world mah!
    [​IMG]

Workin'
    [​IMG]

Heave, ya ho!
    [​IMG]

Yeah.............
    [​IMG]

Gettin' 'er dun!
    [​IMG]

Cold day!
    [​IMG]

Last one!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

how many bolts are left?

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

25 x ???

4. dontoe

Only about 1000 left out of 4900 bolts!!! :o

25X40..........................whew!!! :doah:

Oh, we had heavy snow for about a half an hour...................brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So thats a snug fit for four full size cars/trucks?

6. dontoe

I could get six K-5's in but the doors wouldn't open all the way. Actually, only one project truck at a time, and room for another gettin' serviced.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

What luxury

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Looks pretty darn nice but how do you hang pictures on the wall?
    J/K of course.
    So how long did it take to put it up so far?

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Just asking for a sig line eh?

10. dontoe

One full day assembling it, one full day putting it up, not including the end walls.

Love getting it up, and then photographing it!!! :wink1:

11. dontoe

More pics added!

12. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Ok , since nobody else has asked you tech. type questions here goes.

How much does a building like that cost and is it comparably in strength to a standard frame building , in regards to wind and snow?

What kinds of permits are required to put up such a building? I know each state's different but what did you go thru?

And lastly where d ya' get it , and do they have different sizes?

Well that's it!

Thanks, Jeff

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pretty darn cool.....

Is that how the interior walls are, or can they be "finished" smooth?

whats the door config like?

14. dontoe

25X40 was around $10,000.00.

No snow limit...............150 mph wind rated!

Normal building permit here, I've just been taken into the Hickory city limits.

Just had to show the permit office the plans/blueprints, get the concrete footings/pad inspected before the pour, final inspection after the building is complete.

http://www.us-buildings.com/ is where I bought mine, great people and I picked it up myself with a friend and his one ton truck and car hauler trailer, saved $500.00 delivery charge. The pallets weighed around 5,500 lbs.

Any size is custom manufactured. I got this one a little cheaper, as it was canceled by someone else I had originally wanted a 30X40, but got a good deal on this one.

15. dontoe

A friend at work helped his brother put one up. He had it sprayed with foam insulation. $2,500.00 I think. I'm thinking of doing that or maybe blanket insulation. I believe thay have photos on their website of finished walls. There is about a half inch of threads left on the inside. Enough for 3/16th paneling or other interior products I suppose.

Any configuration of doors is possible when you order one. I chose two 8X10 roll up doors, one on each end, so I can drive a car hauler through, drop off. One entry door on the end next to one 8X10.

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Neat stuff, Don.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hurray!!!!!..... :)

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :D :D :D :D
    I bet your hoisting a few cold ones in celebration right now!..I know I did after I finally got my quonset erected ,mostly alone!..I suffered thru some extremely cold weather ,as I did mine in late september,and did not finish the end walls until january!..BBBRRRRR!..

Mine is a 20x40 "Round Top" version,but quite similar to yours..I got it from "Steelmaster" in Newport News VA,but when it was delivered the bill of lading said it came from "Future Steel Buildings" in Toronto Canada!.(free delivery too!:laugh: )....mine cost me 4,050 dollars in 1992 ,I bought a building someone forefited a down payment on,they wanted to switch to the "gable" style roof like yours instead,which was just released around that time....so the company cut me a deal by selling it to me for that price,when it originally was priced at 6500 bucks..I guess steel prices have nearly doubled since '92!..:eek1:

Mine is 13' tall,but was originally 18'..I had them cut the straight side panels down from 6' to 48",so it would not be taller than our house!..I now wish I'd left it tall,I could have built storage or an apartment "upstairs"..:doah: duh!..

Mine has survived a hurricane,several days of winds over 60+mph,and at least 3 blizzards with over 3' of heavy wet snow with no damage whatsoever!.(its rated for 142 mph winds and 40 PSF of snow)....a few similar buildings nearby DID collapse in '96 after a bad snowstorm and lots of ice in between,including one huge one where I worked at a junkyard, a 52x155' monster!---:eek1:

---but it was missing many bolts, and was equipped with 20 or more of those flimsy fiberglass "skylights",so its not really the fault of the building..I did not use the skylight option,I feel it weakens the building a lot..not a good idea up here where it can snow heavily..other one was a 35 x 50 ' one a neighbor bought and the blizzard hit right after the shell was up,with no end walls..it came down after 3' of slush accumulated on it for several days,then a big pine tree fell on it..:( ..there is a wooden barn in its place now..

I sincerely doubt a 25' wide or less one would collapse under those conditions..mine is only 22 gauge steel,I think its the thinnest option!--you can get 18 or 20 ga. too..I hit mine with a Ford tractor bucket and did only minimal damage to 2 arches after I built it, and was landscaping around the building, and sunk the tractor in the mud..it hit the garage as I was pulling it out with my K20..:doah:

The only thing I dont like about mine is the bolt heads are now rusty after 13 years!..can't squawk about anything else,and I'll never have to paint the steel or shingle the roof either!..;) ..but both of my homebuilt wooden end walls need paint BAD!..:( ---now if I could only get rid of the stuff I hoarded in there,and park ALL the vehicles in it I originally intended too...:doah:

Your going to love your quonset!..I never insulated mine,I can keep it fairly warm with a barrell stove going..even the sun shining on it warms it up some on cold winter days..anything is better than being outside in the wind!..You may notice noises you never heard before..mine acts like an amplifier,I hear voices and music playing sometimes,and its someone FAR away at a car wash 1/4 mile away usually!..we used to hear a radio station at the junkyard's building sometimes--and we HAD no radio!..but the transmitter for that station was not that far away..I've found my quonset makes a GREAT ground plane for a CB or Ham radio antenna!..but indoor radio reception sucks,as it does in all steel buildings..outdoor antenna is a must!:crazy: