Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garbage truck driver crushed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Jul 20, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=22c312a9-6406-4621-b175-a730d6023fc8

[​IMG]

Pretty sad, 36 years old and three kids at home.

I know three or four guys that drive for Waste Management here, one of whom is more like a brother to me. When I saw this on the news I spent 20 minutes trying to get through to my buddy on the phone. Fortunately it wasn't my buddy or anyone I know.

Rene

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Holy sh!t :(

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

So sad. Geez, what are the odds of that?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yipe!

Thats a tough way to die....glad it was not your friend Rene! :eek1: :eek1:

I guy I knew quite well was killed about this time last year in a mack truck with an 18 wheeler dump body--he was killed when the truck and trailer,filled with a full load of large boulders flipped on its side as it was taking a corner--the truck slid on its side right into a telephone pole,and the pole just missed the hood,but took the cab of the mack off right at the windsheild level,and smashed it against the dump body..he was cut nearly in half ,and crushed instanly.. :frown1:

I could not believe the local paper showed it on the front page,with him still hanging out of the cab,and blood all over!.--it was not a close up shot,but you could tell it was a body!-.his family nearly sued the newspaper....he was a nice guy,he didnt deserve to die that way..rumor has it his boss had just chewed him out for being late,and for being slower than the other drivers who were doing the same job(it happenned at 8 am)..speed kills... :(

When I was growing up,I remember reading of a garbage truck worker (guy who emptied cans into the truck) who was depressed over a recent divorce--he took what the driver considered a long time to empty some cans in the truck--after waiting 5 minites,and yelling several times to him to "hurry up!",he got angry and got out of the truck to see what was taking so long--

He found half of the guy from the waist down on the ground directly behind the garbage truck--the rest of him was inside the truck! :eek1: :eek1: --they figure he committed suicide by starting the "crush" cycle,and leaned over into the garbage truck packer body..hhmmmmppphhh! :eek: :tongue1: :ignore:

5. tRustyK5

I guess they'll figure out an official cause but from what I understand they're not supposed to be driving with the hydraulic pump 'on'. Witness's say the body of the truck was rising up just before the pedestrian overpass, and you can see the flattened part of the canopy that normally covers the top of the cab.

If you click on the "global video" link you can see the driver still trapped in the seat, seat belt on and all. Not too gory, but I was still surprised they showed it at all.

Rene

6. tRustyK5

The crappy part is that if he has hit a regular overpass he would just have destroye dthe truck and maybe had some bad whiplash. Hitting the pedestrian overpass the truck was able to knock the walkway off it's supports. They estimate the weight of that part at about 37 tons.

Rene

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

What a drag. Of course the worst part is the family's loss.

8. tRustyK5

Yeah, I hope not to ever leave my kids without a father...until they're grown up themselves.

Rene

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yep. We'd have to kill ya for that.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can't find the link :confused:

Several years ago a trash truck hit an overpass here in St. Louis when he was on the ramp from 70 east into Illinois. Luckily the driver had no injuries, but traffic was a mess for several months becasue that ramp from St. Louis to Illinois had to be shut down to repair the damage.

11. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

i remeber a few years ago, a local trash guy died b/c he was inside taking a piss and the driver or someone turned it on not knowing he was in there

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dang!!!

13. tRustyK5

Looks like they removed the video link...someone probably complained. It was pretty macabre. :eek1:

rene

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

strange i remember watching a program showing testing of things used on highways, like gard rail crash barriors and bridges, they drove at full speed, thing into the bridges, like a trailer with a big backhoe, loaded wrong, and smashed the hoe good but the bridge was fine, they even crashed a big dump truck with the box all the way up and the bridge did not fail.

sad wonder if it was mecanical or drivers error?

15. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'll put my money on mechanical error.

16. tRustyK5

The fact the pump was on points to human error I'd think. We'll find out eventually, although if it was human error i'm sure they'll soften it up for the family's sake.

Rene

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

holy crap, damn

thats horrible :(

:eek1:
    :crazy: