Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garden/ soil question????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, May 24, 2003.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The property I just bought was owened by a fawking asshat muddafugga, he is a contractor and had 17 yes count them 17 DUMPTRUCK loads of concrete rubble dumped behind my shop.Well the neighbors busted him and called the county and they made him haul it all out, accept for about a pick up truck load (no biggy)But, I wanna put the garden where the rubble "WAS". Now my question is, would the concrete have "poisoned" the soil? Does anyone know where I can get my soil checked? Maybe the Health Dept. . Any input would be greatly appreciated.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well....what kind of cement was it? it should b fine as long as the concrete is gone.. what do u wanna put there?

NITRO

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Doubt very much that it contaminated your soil, Contact your counties extension service for soil testing.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    well....what kind of cement was it? it should b fine as long as the concrete is gone..

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know what kind and most is (90%) gone, My concerns were about the lyme in the concrete, I think... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI dunno... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Lime goes good in Corona....so it should be OK in your garden /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't know why I ever expect a straight answer from anyone... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

As long as the concrete was in its solid state, the lime would be contained within. I wouldn't worry about. However, if you are still concerned, I'd go with a smaller garden this year just to see how stuff grows.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Doesn't really matter. You have to add about 6 inches minimum of soil amendment anyway in order to have anything grow well. Go to a wholesaler and they will bring in whatever amount you need and dump it for you. It comes by the scoop. I put in 2 raised beds that were 20 x 20 each and had to be raised 6 inches on one side, raising to 12 at the other. I got 11 scoops and had about a scoop left over. 11 scoops filled a 20 x 12 foot driveway 4-5 feet high.

Get amendment, not top soil. I didn't have to fertilize for a year and in year three, I've only had to once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That's the only straight answer I think your gonna get.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

FYI-

Around here, Concrete is considered CLEAN FILL...if your filling in a bank, or a hole etc... you can use concrete blocks, etc...... John use to dump 100 yarders full of the stuff at people's houses looking for clean fill.

It will in no way harm you, your kids, your garden nadda, its okay.

Brandy

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yep concrete is okay and wont hurt a thing. And as a hint of advice, dont ask it to be tested for contamination. If it comes up with even the smallest amount of oil in the yard, it will be reported to your local enviro department by whoever tests it. And oily soil is really expensive to get rid of. Trust me, my family owna a buisness that treats oily soil and the going rate is $45 a ton + trucking + excavating + backfill = second mortgage. Seen it happen more than once. Just a little tip.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks guys.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif