Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gardendale

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by nvrenuf, Feb 3, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Anybody going this weekend? TARussell and I are supposed to be there Sunday (spectating).

2. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about going over there and spectating too. Early forecasts are calling for rain this weekend so maybe, maybe not. If you get the chance, you should go, some of those guys put on an awesome show.

Here's a link to some pics that are taken at both Gray Rock in Mt. Olive (where the event is held) and the "public" trails in G'dale: http://www.caos4x4.com/photos.htm

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

John,

Did you get a chance to go this weekend?

4. nvrenuf

No, at the last minute I decided not to go. I was only going for Sunday and the main reason was to see a buddy's new buggy ("Dan Dibble" on Pirate). He called me late Thursday and said "don't come for me because I'm have engine problems". Since it was going to be a quick in / quick out rushed trip I decided to skip it.

Of course, Monday I was emailed a link to some pics from a buddy and realized another friend with a SWEET K5 (K5 Junkie) here was there and I missed it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif PICS - look for red & black K5

Did you go? See anything cool? I still wish I had gone but I think I'd rather wait until I can do a whole weekend.

5. nvrenuf

Lance, have you ever been to Tellico? Just curious to know what it's like for a fullsize.

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I wussed out on Saturday. It was threatening to snow here and I had some odds and ends to take care of, so I didn't go.

Sunday, me and a buddy loaded up and hit a few of the trails. Then swung back through to see the "Snatch-A-Strap" contest. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I've been in several different full-sizes on Tellico and have found that you'd better except coming back with at least a few new dents. I'd say most of that comes from the trees/roots you'll undoubtedly contact in the washouts / trails. But, things change so much up there each time you go, there's no real way to know what to expect.

Bottom line: Don't let driving a full size discourage you from hitting those trails, but I'd definitely recommend ditching the top, it'll be a big help in clearance.

EDIT: I just saw your post in the "Tellico" post, I'd say Gardendale and Gray Rock both are very similar to Tellico, with one exception NO TRAFFIC JAMS. Although not quite the same, come hit these trails on one of the big rides and that should you give you a pretty fair idea of what you can expect. The biggest difference is Tellico is more of a true trail system, while here it's more like obstacles situated between trails.

7. nvrenuf

Ok, I'm going to sound like a real dork here but... Gardendale and Gray Rock are not the same place? I assumed they were since they are both in the same area (they are, right?).

Can you tell I mainly stick to the swamps here on the coast. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Thanks for all the good info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Gardendale refers to a loose network of "public" trails (most land is actually privately-owned with a mutual agreement of don't ask, don't tell). You can typically catch a group of guys hitting those trails on any given weekend day. Be at the old G'dale Wal-Mart and just wait for some folks to show up is how I used to do it. Gardendale is literally thousands and thousands of acres with riding to suit most tastes. Be sure to bring a thick skin as the locals like to "encourage" the newbies (especially those in "foolsize" rigs). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Remember it's all in fun.

On the other hand, Gray Rock is a privately owned ORV park in Mt. Olive. I think it's about 2100 acres and there's probably more trails there than you could do in a month of Sundays. It's all the boonies so to the uninitiated it's hard to tell and most people just assume it's G'dale because you have to go through it to get to Mt. Olive. (Think Tillman's Corner's relation to Mobile and you'll get the idea.) Anyways, Gray Rock is only opened for special events (like last weekend's February Frenzy) or if you get together a large enough group, you can rent it out for the weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Pile up in that crew cab of yours, throw the K5 on a trailer and in 4 hrs. you'll be here.

I'm working on getting something SOON and then maybe we can hook up one weekend. I still love the big Chevy's and love to see them on the trails, unfortunately they just don't fit my needs right now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I found these pics this morning. The first shows one of the obstacles called "Whiskey Springs" at Gray Rock ORV. It's taken from the bottom looking towards the top. All this is one of the more difficult obstacles it is pretty typical of what you will run into up here.

The other pic shows a K5 about middle ways up the top of Whiskey Springs, so you know it can be done in a full size. (Just ends up with a bit more character when you do.)

I wish I knew whose rig that is, but I've never seen it out there before so I imagine it was somebody just up for the event last weekend. Does anybody recognize it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a link to the rest of the pics:
    http://www.rattlerock.com/Gray%20rock%202-7-04.htm

Again, they aren't mine I just found them this morning on another site.

Lance

10. nvrenuf

Cool, that explains a lot! Like you said, I always assumed that Gardendale was simply a reference to the community where Gray Rock was located.

Those pics look pretty good, I don't recognize the K5 though. A friend of mine was up there, here are some pics on his site.

I'd love to load up the K5 and head that way but mine is still sitting on stock tires right now. Hopefully by mid-summer I'll have it done and can break it in and work the bugs out this fall. I'd really like to take it to both your area and the Spring Blazer Ride in Tellico next year.

My big hang up is the sheet metal. I'm a mud guy so willingly sacrificing sheet metal isn't something I'm used to doing. I want to branch out in my riding styles but I sure don't want to ruin a good body the first year it's built. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Those are some awesome pics. Your buddy's K5 is clean and it took some real "huevos" to bring it up there.

I hear you on sacrificing sheet metal. That was a big factor in my deciding to sell the K5. (Plus, I needed something decent on gas to commute back and forth to work.)

If you look closely, you'll see a white over blue K5, that's Williams from Southern OffRoad and a 2-tone Blue Bronco that belongs to Brent, CAOS Pres. Both of those will give you a pretty good idea of the kind of body damage you can expect if you take a full size on the trails up here.

William's body damage is almost exactly like what I ended up with on mine, his is just a little more severe. Mainly it shows that the passenger side typically takes the most abuse in full sizes.

As for hitting the trails either here or Tellico, ditching the doors will help ALOT as K5's are at their widest at this point here. If you get some good rear 1/4 panel and rocker protection and you lose the top, I'd bet you'd be able to escape most damage except possibly in the most extreme cases.

Trust me, branching out into trail riding from mud-bogging will be worth it. Even if it does mean a few "character" marks.