Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GARMIN GPS Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SummitXMK, Jul 16, 2002.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Alright well we are opening a retail outlet pretty soon and we are now a GARMIN Authorized Retailer or sum such thing. We are trying to decide which units and accessories we are going to purchase for the first go around. I was wondering what units you guys would like to buy. Just give me an Idea of what you would like to buy if you could. Thanks
    Here is the web site
    http://www.garmin.com/products/index.html

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Didn't look through the site too much, but I'd say a unit that is inexpensive, weather and shock proof, accepts a 12 volt input so you aren't running on batteries all the time, and above all - is backlit. I can't tell you how much I long for a backlight in the GPS at Pismo when in the dunes at night. </font color>

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i got the garmin 12xl a few years back. first accessory that i got was a 12 volt power cord and PC interface. it does have a back light too. it's primitive in the sense that it does not come with roads and such but it does have a lot of major cities in the world. another thing to look into when buyin a GPS is downloadability. if you have a PC you can download and upload trails(wavepoints) to it. it's neat when you start sharing them with your buddies. another thing to consider is that there is a built in error(just a jump and a hop away), that changes from day to day. it's for national security.

Follow the link to and learn all about GPS
    ARQ.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> From what I understand the built in error was knocked down from something on the order of 100 feet to just a couple of feet. This happened a year or so ago, now civilians get the same accuracy as the military. </font color>

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

The E-map is great back lit and has roads speed gas stations and food for the area your in change the data card to the area your in and presto you have a detailed road, food gas and rest stop map only problem is no 12 volt input atleast not a couple of years ago when I bought it. plus it was only 199$ and very easy to use even the wife could work it Almost forgot it tells you how far to where your going and how much further and the time left to get there. Also have the 12 CX in the truck you can map out the trails and then it will give you directions back to where you started from it is back lit in color and has 12 volt plug in and a place for an anttenae hope this helps.

6. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

i was a marine mechanic for most of my life i have rigged hundreds of new boats the best garmin units that i have installed are the 185 180 &amp; 160 all fixed mount units the 185 /forums/images/icons/confused.gif is by far the best. my 2 cents

7. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

The Etrex line is nice - especially the "Vista". It has maps and a DIGITAL COMPASS and baro altimeter built in !! You dont have to be moving for it to indicate the correct heading. That's an often overlooked and very nice feature !