Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Garth Brooks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 7, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never cared for him much, but with this new country they have these days hes not so bad... I just added a bunch of songs I had but not in my playlist, to my playlist.

Calling Baton Rouge
    Beer Run
    Friends in Low Places(favorite)
    Papa Loved Mama
    Rodeo
    Thunder Rolls
    and a few others I don't care for so much.

I find it sad I used to hate the man but am forced to refind a like for him since all there are nowadays are new guys who have ONE good song and thats that. Examples? Jason Aldean, Hick Town is fun, but haven't heard anything else I like by him. Dierks Bently has a few but can't listen to the CD through. And Joe Nichols "Whats a guy gotta do?" is a really good one, again nothing else I've heard I liked by him. Sigh....

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i know what you mean. im a big fan of his new one "good ride cowboy"

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Welcome to 1990 [​IMG]

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hi I'm 5 [​IMG]

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I only liked his first three albums.. I still listen to them periodically. My favorite is "two of a kind", which incidentally was co - written by warren haynes, the best slide guitar player on the planet, founder of gov't mule, and member of the allman brothers.

I just quit listening to new (meaning commercial radio ) country music altogether a few years ago.. I didn't mind so much the timeframe ( mid 90's) when everyone sounded like the eagles, but when everyone began to channel jimmy buffet, I drew the damn line.

Thank god for my outlaw country cd's, and satellite radio.

Tom

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I still think there's some good country out there now. there are a few artists that can still play and sing and not be so "poppy"

But I've always been a Garth fan. He has such a variety of good stuff. I got his new box set for Christmas and I'm loving it--even though I have some of the cds that are in it already. the unreleased stuff is great. His cover of the Dirt Bands-Fishin in the Dark sounds awesome

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i got the box set for Christmas too. the "Lost Sessions" CD hasnt been out of my CD player yet.

i've got Jason Aldean in the truck too. Hicktown is awesome. Sled, you might wanna check out "Redneck Yacht Club". Brad Paisley's "Alcohol" is pretty good, as is "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off" by Joe Nichols.

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I can't stand the stuff they call 'country' nowadays. I grew up with Merle, Waylon, Jerry Jeff, David Allan Coe, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Jerry Reed, George Jones, sweet Emmylou Harris! (one of my all-time absolute faves), etc. (the list goes on...) because that's what my dad listened to. The best new 'real' country music is never played on (commercial) radio, you have to go to a bar with live music to find a true country artist. Or catch one of those itty bitty radio stations who do the bluegrass hour or whatever. To me, all the 'new' country songs sound the same.

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i dont really think that you can say today's country music isnt 'country'. cuz it is. the style of music changes with time, REGARDLESS. Papa Roach is still rock, although not the same as ZZ Top's generation of rock. Garth and Dierks are still country, although not the same as Hank and Haggard. It's just the way things go, that's why there are oldies stations, and new stations on the radio. I agree with some of the new artists sucking, but then again some of them are really good, i like Keith Anderson for the most part, couple bad songs, but everyone has bad songs. so you cant blame new artists for not maintaining older style.. just my thoughts.. oh, and i think Garth is without a doubt up there with Williams, Haggard, Cash and Daniels..

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Here we go again...........:surepal:

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Ahhh...memories......haha

12. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I like all the before mentioned garth songs. Gotta add standing outside the fire to the list though. I really like that song. Tearin it up is good too, the list goes on and on.

I also need to throw out one of my favorites. Aaron Watson is awesome yall. He got a lot of his influence from gospel music and greats like merel haggard. He also sings w/ greats like willie nelson and dale watson. (no relation). He also has a great cover of silver wings. yall should check out his music. www.aaronwatson.com He puts on great shows and his music is good listenin. I suggest yall listen to Reckless, off the record, shut up and dance, honky tonk kid and the right place. All of his music is good. Give it a listen if you get a chance.