Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas 350 & Diesel 700r4 Compatability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Nov 25, 2005.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Hey I was wondering what problems you'd run into if you were mating a gas 350 with a diesel 700r4. I have a friend doing this swap and he read that there may need to be a swapping out of the torque converter and governor, but he ran into some problems with the kickdown cable. It was just a few inches short of reaching the carb. Does anybody know if this is a problem with mating the gas engine to the diesel tranny? Are there any other small problems with combining the two?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the diesel TQ convertor stahls at a lower speed due to a lower idle. could have sme transmission heat issues there.
    might want to swap it out.
    Grant

3. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks man. :thumb:

4. sebban

sebban Registered Member

So what you are saying is that you can take a Diesel tranny and just swap the Torque Converter and that's it??

Because I'm living i sweden and it seems to be very difficult to find a th700r4 for my blazer (it's an -84).
    We have a lot of th350:s and 4l60e:s but no th700..
    Another thing, the torque converter, is that somethims that will wear out??

//Seb.

5. bornreadyk5

bornreadyk5 Registered Member

I would try leaving the Torque converter and just replacing the gov. with a gas version. My theory would be the lower the stall rating, the better?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one thing??

I don't think the stall speed or govenor issues are that much of a dilema..but as far as I know a diesel converter uses 6 bolts to join it to the flexplate--and gas motors use only 3..whether or not three out of the six diesel ones would line up with the bolt pattern(s) on the gas engines flexplate I couldn't tell you..

I do have a few friends who put(350) gas motors in diesel trucks,but they just used the converter from the gas donor truck,not only to avoid the stall speed and govenor dilema,but perhaps because they simply wont bolt up??-- :confused: its been too long for me to recall if that was one of the reasons they swapped the converters... :confused: :crazy: