Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas can for the K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88MudBeast, Nov 11, 2000.

1. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

As everybody knows gas can be an interesting issue when you've been out on the trail all day in your Blazer. I was wondering if anybody had ever put a gas can mount on the INSIDE of their blazer, maybe in the back across from the tire(behind the back seat. Possibly using the bolts that hold on the top as a way to hold the rack in place. The reason i want to put the can inside as opposed to outsied on the back is, knowing the teenagers in my neighborhood and their trucks, the can would be gone in a matter of days. If anybody can help me out it would be great.
    Big Jake

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I think this would be fairly easy to do, and there are many different types of mounts out there for sale. Speaking as someone who has carried gas cans in my Blazer, I don't think that you'd like having it in there all the time, as the fumes do tend to make it out of the can and can be unhealthy if you have the top on. I believe that there are some lockable mounts that you could get to secure the can to the exterior of the truck, or you could just put the can on for long trips/four wheeling. Just my opinion, anyone else have any thoughts?

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Good point Jason. Even with positive flow ventilation the fumes could become a serious problem. If not just a noticeable PIA.

Where can I look at external lock set ups for cans?

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

NEVER NEVER NEVER put it inside under any circumstances. the fire hazzard is too great. it is illegal over here to put gas cans inside an enclosed vehicle for a number of reasons, fumes, accidents (gas spilling over occupants), heat (if forgotten in locked vehicle). just leave it at home when not using it.
    sorry for sounding harsh, but safety is real important.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I would also keep in mind that people have been rear-ended while carrying jerrycans out back,...NOT good,cap blows out,gas blows straight up then all over 2 vehicles and everybody can fry! Personally..I would only carry it out back when absolutely necessary. Should be able to lock it down by cable and lock , though.