Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Can question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am driving to Colorado here in 2 weeks in the K5. I have the 31 gallon factory tank. I need more gas on hand should I run into snow and have to sit or use 4x4 alot. My mileage is between 9-12mpg.

What type of can is safe (or is there one) for inside the passenger compartment. Options

1. Blitz Metal 5 gallon cans. (red metal can)
    2. Plastic 2.5 gallon can. (standard parts store style)
    3. NATO approved gas cans from Army Surplus. (seem to have very tight seal)
    4. 5 gallon plastic racing can.

Any input on any of these and any opinions are welcome. Thanks

Harley

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I wouldn't want to have any of them inside the cabin with me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You're going to drive through a wide range of elevations, which means a lot of changes in air pressure. That makes any can want to leak or expel vapors. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the plastic racing can is safest. That's what my buddy's race team uses to carry their nitromethane.

4. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I agree with the racing can. Either way I would sure watch ignition sources as any can will need to vent.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The NATO type is the best!
    The plastic will leak fumes throught the plastic and the blitz will leak out the cap.
    I would not put anything in the cab other then a NATO type (I own 2 of them which I got from Kragen's website).

Lucky your not in Kalifornia! They are now ilegal because they are not CARB approved /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was thinking the NATO can was probably the right can for the job. I talked to a guy on the race cans, and he said he drove about 30-45 minutes with a plastic race can in his back seat in 100+ degree weather and it was ok. I was checking out the seal on the NATO can and it was VERY tight. So I thought it would be the best as long as I vented the can every time I stop for gas I might be ok with it. I don't think the Blitz can is safe enough, as I have had them leak out the cap.

More input is welcome, I think it is between the NATO can and the Race can.

7. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

THEY ALL WILL LEAK FUMES. The NATO can has a small pinhole in the lid for this purpose. I would plan on fumes no mater what can I was using.

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If you get the NATO can and it's used take a good look inside the coating will peel off over time and then rust will set in.
    I take it your not going to pull a trailer with you. If you were I would say put the can back there. As with all things make sure you tie the cans down.

Eric

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

use the jerry can(NATO i think). I use mine when i go on long trips(baja). droped it once, and i use it as a step when i can't reach my engine compartment /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. i't pretty tuff. i've had it in my blaze for about 3-4weeks now and i have not smelled any fumes. then again i've used it once or twice in that time.

ARQ.

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

There is a difference between the Jerry cans & the nato one. The Jerry cans are the original ones used by the military. The NATO are a newer design. The big difference it the way the pour spout attaches. Other than that, pretty much the same.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The NATO approved can is plastic (have been for the last seven +/- years). The old steel Jerry cans are no longer NATO approved for overseas deployment.

12. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

i have got a soulution to the fume problem!!....Just take a black trash bag and tie it off...that should keep the fumes inside the bag /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

350/208/3.73Gov-Lock/31's/10Bolt

13. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

You also need to look at the NATO cans if you get them used. We use diesel in all are trucks in the military and that is what is put in the plastic NATO cans. If it was me I would try to buy them new and find a way to mount them on the out side of your truck. Dieseldan is right we been using the plastic NATO cans for over 7 years now and they work a lot better than the old metal cans.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

any of those will work, but... I'd consider finding a way to mount the fuel outside of your truck.

If your really that concerned about having a lack of fuel, just fuel up every few hours, or use a hitch rack, and use plastic gasoline cans. They leak, they smell bad, but when its outside of your truck, you dont really care.

Course, it brings into the whole "rear end collision" factors and what not.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

woops, forgot one more thing. They do sell emergency gas that is meant to be stored inside a car. Its mostly ethanol and stabilized petro, but its safe to carry. Your only supposed ot use it on a warm engine. THe only reason I suggest this is because your looking at gas cans as small as 2.5 gallons. These things are sold in 1 gallon containers. 3 of them would do the trick for you. Your truck will run like crap until you fill it with regular gas.

16. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My vote goes for the Nato cans Ive been using them in my blazer for years and still dont have any foul smells well at least none coming from the cans. Also do make sure you inspect the can lids sometimes the threads can be really crossthreaded and can cause leaking. I worked with these cans for years as well. There GRRRRRREAT!!!

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just to clear up any confusion this is what I mean by NATO style:
    [​IMG]
    They are not the same as the Blitz which have a weld around the bottom (not the bottom, sides, and top like the NATO).

18. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In California it is now illegal to carry ANY gas cans outside the vehicle. Now what do you do??? I think some people are going to get a little pissed about these new laws which took place January 1st 2002. I did however go to Nevada and purchase the new style 5 gallon metal gas can that is not legal in California YET, I do think however that it soon will be but that doesn't help much if you still can't carry it outside your vehicle since it is illegal to carry it inside your vehicle as well.