Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas filler neck for 62 caddy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Sep 27, 2006.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

when I pulled the tank out I took out the filler neck, and it was rusted inside and out-so i wire wheeled and sanded the outside, and have gotten the dremel inside, but there is still some surface rust on the inside and have about 3 hours total on the inside of this b*tch-is there anything I can soak it in to remove the powder and surface rust?

thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Eastwood..

I saw some stuff like that in the Eastwood catolog..can't remember the name of it--something like "Rust-Solve" or similar..never used it,so I can't comment on how good it might work..phosphoric acid is used in "Naval Jelly",and many "rust converters",if you can find any locally..

Too bad you didn't get this car sooner--the boneyard I worked at had several old caddys,including at least one 1962 model..gas tank would likely have been junk,but maybe a filler neck might have survived..could you make a new one from conduit, and solder it in place of the original?..we did that on a few antiques we couldn't find tanks for..used the gas cap portion of the old filler neck,welded or brazed to a length of conduit,bent to the right shape..:crazy: ..