Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas gauge busted,(if it was a clock it would be 3:00)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, May 12, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

no movment in the gauge at all, just stays level pointing to the right, does anyone know what causes this ,,(sender/gauge/wiring)? please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

73' blaze /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

If you have a voltmeter (or even a test light), start at the sender and see if you have voltage. If you do, start workin your way forward. Never heard of a gas gauge resting off to the right but hey always a first for everything. Good luck.

Allan

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

gas guage is 2 magnets pulling on a stick.
    3 wires
    - 1 is a 12V to power the magnets
    - 1 goes through the resistor at the tank sender
    - 1 goes straight to ground

4. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you lost your ground to the sender. The gauge reads resistance to ground, so there should be no voltage back there as the voltage for the gauge occurs in the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster. First you want to find your point of ground for the sender (I'm not sure where GM put it, but I'm sure someone reading this will let you know) and remove it, clean it then reinstall it preferrably with a new external tooth lockwasher between the terminal and the body/frame. If that doesn't do it, then you'll want to check the other end of the ground wire where it connects to the sender. Sometimes, over time, with all the vibration the vehicle sees, this tiny wire becomes brittle and decides to part ways from the sender asm. I've had some luck soldering new wire to a sending unit in the past, the tab on the sender must be WAY clean (borderline hospital type cleanliness) and with some good flux, had decent results. I would however recommend removing the sender from the tank before performing this engineering feat /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif! Hopefully this will take care of your time telling gas gauge /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good Luck!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sender ground on my '81 frame/tank is on the crossmember just in front of the tank, on the "leading" edge of it, passenger side. Single black wire. Kind of a pain to get to.

I concur with lost ground, gage should "peg out" to the right when there is no ground.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it is the ground wire mine does the same thing every time it comes off when I'm out wheeling