Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Gauge Flakey

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jackson 88K5, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Tonight I was finishing some upgrades (manual hubs)[​IMG] and went for a test drive and after putting it in 4 WD and playing around a little off road I saw my gas gauge go past full then it stopped in the 3 o'clock postion WoW I wish I had that much gas in there, but I know I have only half a tank, what do you think could be wrong with the gauge of float?

http://www.tjcommons.com/88K5/

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

try checking the ground and power wire at the sending unit mine did the exact same thing while i was wheeling and what happend was the power wire poped off it dose not atatch very well it only pushes on and is very easy to jar loose. hope this helps. good luck

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard that most guage problems are ground related. Maybe a wire got tweaked when you were playing around? Check the wires going to the sender.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Mudhog, looks like you beat me to it by less than a minute [​IMG], I guess great minds think alike![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the circuit is open somewhere. When the gauge circuit goes open on a GM, the gauge pegs past full. The problem is usually at or near where the wires attach to the top of the fuel tank. It's not a real easy area to get your hands into, but with a bit of work you can reach in there and check things out.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very true trustyk5 very true lol

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Try pulling the fuel gauge off and reinstalling it. Mine did the same thing and one of the prongs were not sitting the clip right and it wouldnt make a connection..easy fix. Try it before trouble shooting the wiring may save time

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's called "VIRTUAL gas gauge".
    Mine fluctuates back and forth most of the time.. but it only fluctuates in 1/8 tank increments. Except when it's full it won't flicker until it goes down a little.

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had a fuel guage that wandered all over the place. I fixed mine the same way mouse says.
    I had to pull my guage cluster to grease the speedo cable To get the cruse controll to work right. While I had everything apart I pulled the gas guage out of its sockets and cleaned up the connections. Been steady as a rock and working good ever sence.