Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas gauge help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Feb 2, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Heres the deal. I built an 87 K5 out of parts and I can't seem to get my Gas hand to work. I bought it with no wiring what so ever. Everything else works fine. This is what I have:
    This K5 is NOT fuel injected.
    88 carbed 350
    87 fuse block (inside and under dash) from a 4x4 truck that had dual tanks
    87 gauge cluster
    83 fuel tank
    86 firewall out wiring (I added wires and moved them to match that of an 87)

For some reason what I believe to be the fuel gauge wire now comes from the rear wire section of the block. I know that on pre 87 it was a pink wire from the main wiring section. Any help or ideas would be great. I've got a good ground from the tank to the frame and a good connection to the sending unit. Its just not registering anything and the tank is full.

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Showing empty with a full tank means the sending unit wire is probably shorted somewhere.

Pull the wire off the sender. If it goes full, you have a faulty sender.
    If it stays empty, the wire is shorted between the tank and gauge or the wrong wire is hooked up to the gauge.

Mine was doing the same thing not even a week ago. I started following the pink wire from the tank forward and found that the PO had spliced in a bullet connector with no insulation, tape or shrink wrap and it had corroded to the point that the corrosion was actually shorting it to the frame.

Good luck!

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gauge was going to full. It was a bad sending unit. Thanks for the good info.:xmas:

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

:waytogo:

Gotta help out the 'wheelers. You'll pay me back someday, I'm sure.